1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tga, Jan 31, 2009.

1. tga

tga LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use TruGreen for more than a season? Up here they are the most expensive to subcontract any work to, and provide less than stellar results. They only use 1/2 lb of nitrogen per 1,000. Anybody ever here of that as common practice??:nono:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

True Brown= Marketing company who supposedly does lawn care:laugh: They have a piss poor reputation in my area & just about all others. Sometimes they are way low, sometimes sky high:confused: but around here they ALWAYS SUCK on quality! :usflag:
  3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, they use TONS of N! I don't know exactly how much, but they start in early March and by mid April I'm cutting 5"s of top growth.

Since I am cert for pesticides, and do my own fert apps, I flat out told the one customer I had that if he didn't sign up for my fert-weed control program, find someone else to mow and blow. No more clogged decks for me... and not only is my program better, it's less expensive than Scotts or Trugreen.

If you want to sub your apps out, find a good local company to do it for you.
  4. lawn doctor dude

lawn doctor dude LawnSite Member

i thought this was only true in TX? :eek:
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

True in Florida also. But I don't run into them now as much as I used too. BTW they low ball in my area charging about 2/3 the going rate.
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

theya re a nation wide epidemic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

They are low ballers elsewhere? Here they are quite pricey. It also seems clear they use lots more product on LI than they do elsewhere. All that early N caused serious summer burn on that one account I mentioned... made it easier to get them to switch to my program since I warned them that summer burn would be really bad with all that early N Trugreen put down.
  8. lawn doctor dude

lawn doctor dude LawnSite Member

there are a ton of true green trucks where i work. i see multiple every day. most of them i talk to seem like decent guys, (and one lady). they all have the same mentality though, work as fast as you can to make as much money as possible. they don't seem to be too worried about the condition of the yard vs the amount they can potentially make. :confused:
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

All of the national Franchises suck on quality. There comes a point of diminishing returns or quality, occurs in any service company. Big is not better by any means. Even bigger local companies end up doing crummy work because they can not train or keep good help. Any time a company brags about having more than 2,000 or 3,000 customers, They are saying we do lousy work and rip off our customer. BTW That is because we also make very little margin per job because we are so big.
  10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

It was also true where I lived in Florida and where I live in Jersey, like someone else said, it's a nationwide problem.