trugreen

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by cubsfan1, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

... then when Joe Schmoe the neighborhood LCO,,, says the exact same thing as good ol' Scott,,, when do the h.o.s learn reality???

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Along for the ride on this.

All big Ap Co. here apply on frozen ground.

I will feed a weedy lawn fast release with low or no phosphorus intentionally to get the weeds to jump so I can spot spray a bit early. :rolleyes:
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

This.

Soil temps around here are 35 degrees. Don't think we will hit 60 deg soil temps for QUITE some time. Yet some of the large companies here are flinging pre.
    Dingdongs.

4. Smallaxe

I'm reminded of a h.o. telling me that the grass is only green when it first breaks dormancy, becuz of an optical issusion after months of white and brown...
    It's as if the average h.o. believes that getting the grass to be doing well as it breaks dormancy will need fert RIGHT NOW... it is funny how these ol' wives' tales continue to grow and how easy it is for the slick huckster can seem like a hero,,, by getting to their lawns as quickly as they do...

5. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

better to be early than late

6. Smallaxe

Sounds like a Southern comment... here where the ground freezes there is a whole different perspective on the fools flinging pre/fert months in advance...

7. dadoorsron

dadoorsron LawnSite Member

They have 10's of thousands of customers to take care of. Most lawn care companies if they could would be out in Feb. throwing fertilizer done to add profit.

Crabgrass germinates when soil temps hit 60 degrees for 7-10 day (Purdue University study) Soil temps in northern Illinois have averaged 55.2 and have hit 60 once this past week.

8. Smallaxe

I have too much work to do so let's waste money and materials on frozen ground with the added BONUS of polluting lakes, rivers and streams...

CG doesn't germinate in Decent grass anyways,,, so all thousands of lawns continue to be sub-standard year after year???

LCOs need to EDUCATE clients about the wise use of Pre-M,,, by first learning the wise use of it themselves... :)

9. dadoorsron

dadoorsron LawnSite Member

All depends what the Soil temperature is at. In Illinois we have a law that eliminates the spreading of fert on frozen soil. Soon as the soil temp hit 33 it's free game in Illinois. Companies will get out as soon as they can to start making money. Trugreen does not use pre-m on their first application. It's the second of 8 application in Illinois that gets the Pre-m.

Education of your clients is key to a successful turf program. However, results speak louder.

10. Smallaxe

Results are the best education... it takes 8 apps in IL to gets results from sqirt&fert guys to get results, educates me quite a bit... :)