Trust Blocks???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenscapes inc., Aug 2, 2007.

1. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

For you irrigation guys I have a question about trust blocks. In the past I have always used bricks or cinder blocks as trust blocks. I have a job coming up and the architect specs the job to have the trust block cemented in. I have never done thrust blocks this way. Can anyone explain this? Pictures would be great in you have any. Thanks

2. I don't "trust" bricks and blocks...

On the golf course..the only "thrust" blocks we used were poured cement..of course this was 12inch and above pipe.....

Smaller pipes I suppose you could get away w/ blocks/bricks....but it depends on your soil and it's ability to hold...

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I assume you mean "Thrust Blocks", Purple posted pics a while ago, maybe
    he'll drop in. There is a spec sheet the architect should provide. I believe
    the Weather-Matic/Choate book has details. Important stuff, do your homework.

4. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Yeah right after I posted I noticed a missed a H THRUST BLOCKS. Sorry Guys

5. The Irritator

The Irritator LawnSite Member

We typically wrap the mainline in a fabric cloth, excavate all sides of the pipe and pour it in concrete. One 80 lb bag for every 1" of pipe.

Of course, that is my rule. Your architect might see things differently.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We don't thrust block systems that are 100% solvent weld... even on our larger stuff. I've seen more leaks from poorly designed/poured concrete thrust blocks than straight glued fittings without thrust blocks. The vibration of water running through unprotected pipe up against concrete can be disastrous. There is also a proper angle to install them in order to counteract the stresses.

Tell the architect to CAD up some thrust block details (which should have already been done) since he's the one specifying them. It is HIS responsibility to fully explain what he wants. If you do it any other way and something fails he'll blame you for the problem and you WILL be stuck with all repairs, etc. You also might want to tell him there are other methods of restraining pipe such as mechanical restraint fittings.