Trust me - I'm NOT taking over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfquip, Feb 13, 2001.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, when you look at the used equipment forum all you see is turfquip contributing new machines. That's because turfquip advertisers are getting ads at LS as a bonus for no additional charge. The net effect is that you all are made aware of deals available without clicking over to turfquip.com.

Isn't that considerate of me?

Be advised that when you guys decide to support LawnSite by placing your own used equipment ads that my name WILL NOT appear as the thread starter.

So, it's not that turfquip is suddenly controlling the marketplace, it's just that so far, none of you have elected to take advantage of the opportunity before you.

Just thought you'd like to know ;-)

Ed

2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a machine that I'd love to sell, but I'm concerned that the number of LawnSite users in my isolated corner of the country [north of Seattle] is so small that my cost to reach a very small number of potential customers would far exceed the cost of traditional methods such as want ads or even dealer consignment. Can you address the issue of how we can support LawnSite and still make a sound business decision? Since I don't even know the cost of placing an ad with you this could be out of line, but I've never seen direction as to how to get this information. Do you have it posted somewhere?

3. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your concern Mr. Ziffel.

When you purchase an ad at LawnSite for 18.00, you get 6 weeks worth of exposure to LawnSite members and visitors.

You also receive 6 weeks of ad time at turfquip.com. The key to remember is that generally, the sites serve two different user groups. Same industry - two sets of demographics.

The vast majority of LawnSite users don't go to turfquip. Not saying that's bad or good. It's just reality. Conversely, the vast majority of turfquip surfers don't take advantage of the great forum we have here at LawnSite.

So, combined, advertisers receive more exposure than they could hope to receive advertising on either site exclusively.

Is 18.00 a lot to risk? You'll have to answer that but even if the attempt is not successful then you will have supported Chuck anyway. Sort of a win-win.

Another key issue people overlook is that even if a million people a day saw an ad for an item that is overpriced, the item won't sell. The flip side is that people have and will travel for days to get an item that is priced right. It happens all the time!

In summary then, the internet gives you a regional sphere of influence so to speak. If you have an item in demand that is priced right, it will sell.

Sorry so long with this post. I understand that the concept of selling used equipment on the internet is confusing to some folks. We're breaking new ground.

There are links to the guidelines and rules page both at the forum description on LawnSite's home page, and also on the Equipment Marketplace page itself. Just mouse over the animated gif and you will see where to click.

Happy Selling!