Trust your gut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by armyofgoodmusic, Apr 24, 2010.

1. armyofgoodmusic

armyofgoodmusic LawnSite Member

This morning i got a call from a strange old lady asking for and estimate....she had a lot of weird and in depth questions. So i go over meet with her agree on a price for mowing sign a contract and mow for the first time. She watches me mow the entire time and waves to me as i drive away saying thank you. 6 hours later i get a call and she is pissed....her exact words are "you did a sh#t job i dont want you working for me anymore". So i kindly reply im sorry could you please tell me what i did wrong so for future reference i can focus on that. She says when i blew the small tree buds off the driveway that i didnt blow them into her brush pile which is 100ft away. She never asked me to do this...you blow everything into the yard...thats what i always do. It was a couple hand fulls of very small tree buds if that, really not much at all. So she says im not going to pay you for the mowing today and im not going to honor your contract and hung up on me. When she first called she sounded so strange i thought about telling her i couldnt service in her area so no estimate was given. Should have trusted my gut...now im out time and money. What would you guys do to make this better......Im sick of people thinking that i read minds and when they find out i dont they think its ok not to pay me.

2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess just live and learn.... No need to spend the time to take her to court or anything, if you want to try to keep her as a customer (which you probably don't), you could go out to her lawn and offer to rake out the tree buds or something.

3. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

round up ice cubes….

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a common scam. She most likely pays almost nothing for lawn care year after year using the services of many different providers and then firing them. This crap has nothing to do with your service, do not worry about it.

5. rwar

rwar LawnSite Member

Dont let it get to you too much,sounds like you just got taken by a nut job,shake it off and move on

6. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

BAHAH Thats awesome... Does round-up freeze ? LOL

7. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Cut your losses, it would only get worse over time.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i would turn her over to a collection agency.

she doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as not paying you for that work. she signed a contract so she can't really get out of at least paying for the first cut.

as for blowing things back into the yard i personally don't do this. if there are leaves or tree buds or anything else besides the grass clipping i blew there i run the blower before mowing so that stuff gets all chewed up and disappears or sent into the grass bag if i'm bagging the lawn. that way when i'm done all i have is whatever grass is on the hardscape from the mower and trimmer.

9. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Seriously..... sounds like Alzheimers.

I would right it off and feel bad for the lady.
    Very nice client I have is sliding down that chute.

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Take her to small claims court, you have the contract! At least it may make her think twice about doing this again if you keep her tied up with court dates, and if she looses, she must pay the court fees! and she wont be able to get out of that fee! Id think with the contract, you have a slam dunk!