Trust your inner voice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, May 25, 2007.

1. I wasn't going to post about this....because it is long and convoluted..but here goes

Realtor calls....she is an ok referrer..but not as good as she thinks...she needs me to look at a large home w/ problems for an out of town client....and he wants her to meet me there.....**FIRST ALARM**

I agree to $45 for first HOUR (YIKES) to appease her and her cheap client....**SECOND ALARM**

LThe little voice starts to speak:
    "This guy will never pay you....he is going to screw you...run dummy run..."

She makes it as big of a pita as she can to meet her....I make her wait...meet her on my schedule....and look at the POS system.....

Febco has blown the poppet...cannot even look at system until we call the client for approval...sigh....

We have to use my phone..hers has no signal...of course....I get the approval with a loud complaint about my price for poppet/bonnet (55) and a long story about how he just bought one..blah blah blah.....

The realtor continues to speak with ****** on the phone....30 minutes later on my dime....I need to talk to him again about the flooding valve boxes...
    He wants to know how much..I ballpark him...he freaks out.....I come down a bit on my hourly rate to appease him, figure I will make it up in parts.....and the little voice continues:

"Don't do it idiot...this guy is working you...he is a PITA and you will never get paid what you are worth.....and he may screw you out of the money......"

I change a PGP while there...which he insists was working the last time he was in town...adjust some other PGPs that are hitting the house and causing peeling paint...which he insists never happened....

Blow forward in time

I decide to listen to the voice...call and cancel the rest of the job with the Realtor....she is pissed....I explain to her I have a sick family member in a town 2 hours away (truth)....and she is now ok with that...I mention the bill for the PGP and Poppet / Bonnet...she says send her a bill and she will forward to Abudulah Ablingota.....oops.

Blow Forward a little farther

He isn't going to pay.....he insists I installed a used part on his Febco because now the top isn't green plastic it is brass (WTF????)

The other sprinkler guys that came to bid the job threw me under the bus and told him I did this heinous thing.....or so he says...

The conversation on the phone w/ him yesterday was ugly....I went by the jobsite yesterday..no work has been done.

The little voice still speaks:

"I told you so you friggin idiot...how many times does this have to happen to you before you learn.....jack*ss"

Listen to the voice....it is never wrong.

2. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

You got that right. Realtors are always trouble. I try to get to the bill payer if I can.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I did one repair, new customer, that was arranged over the phone. Nobody home, but utility room access was there for me. Change a few valve diaphragms, nothing major. Leave a bill in a door-hanger envelope. Going home, I grab a local afternoon paper. On the front page, I see a story about the king of all deadbeats. My customer.

4. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

All that reading leads me to a question for you guys. Just this year some of customers have been asking to be billed instead of payment in hand once the job is done as its been for a long time. Whats the best way to keep on these people for payment. 30 days and hit them with surcharges? This is new for me its always been cash in hand but all my customers have been getting more personal with me so its hard. Any suggestions for me????

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Realtors have to be the biggest, cheapest PITA's out there.

6. I have some great realtors..and they have been a great asset to my business...but most Realtors are a pita...

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey my girlfriend is a realtor!!! But she agrees with you as well. And she does commercial, no residential.

Hey all, have a great 3 day weekend. I hope everyone takes the full 3 days to relax. I know I am. and especially Tony. The story is even funnier and worse than he has told you here. And the realtor, was referred to Tony from MY girlfriend, as this agent is in the next cube over.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I tried to get into a reality company for some of their properties....GLAD I didnt! I just had a call 4 days ago to mow a lawn that hasnt been touched yet this year for an out of town client of her's. I drove by it and never bothered to call her back. What a dump, junk everywhere yada,yada...no thanks.

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I keep sending invoices. Eventually I get paid. If they are pokey payers then I become a pokey call returner to them.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have one realtor that I will work for. We have an understanding. I give her a price, she forwards it to the customer. In 10 years she has never tried to negotiate on behalf of her client. And I have never held her responsible for slow payers. Generally she secures a payment before the work is even started. But that's it. She's the only one. Every other one I have dealt with has become a thorn in time if not right away.

As for the voice. The voice knows all. Don't ignore the voice. Never has the voice had to come back and say "hey, I was wrong about that one...sorry bout that." :D