Truth be told about Backpack blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Happy Frog, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many posts here about backpack blowers that it is hard to know the factual data about them.
    Since I am looking for another backpack blower, I did some homework and here are the specs of the major contenders in the top of the line blower market. Looking at these, it is hard to believe the video on the BR-600 showing it beat the Shindaiwa EB8510. The Shindi has a bigger and more powerful engine and delivers more air at higher velocity than the Stihl. What gives here?
    The same fuel weight values are the calculated weight of each blower loaded with the same amount of gas in them (amount equal to lowest full fuel capacity of the panel) and the air volume x velocity index is what it says divided by 1000. These calculated values are there for comparison purposes only.
    Green and red values are the best and worst values for each specs.
    As a side note, the Shindaiwa and Stihl are 4mix while the others are 2 strokes engines.

I am interested in getting feed back from Shindi EB8510 and Kawi KBR750 owners.

Blower chart.jpg

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting...

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Shindy is the way to go their sweat machines, more bang for the buck, and produce more power!!! I have been preaching Shindy blowers for 3 years. This is some common knowledge or specs for me, and have remained the same for each model year

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Wow, this is a great chart. Nice work, Bruno! :weightlifter:

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I wish one of the trade magazines we get would do actual reviews like this. Instead what we get is just a listing of the manufacturers and their products, no actual performance data compared to their competitors. I know they don't do this because these same manufacturers are their advertisers.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Shindy specs look good. Here my choice is Stihl and Echo so I went with Sthil as is all my other hand held equip. I do not want to go 35-40miles one way for another brand which might be marginally better or lower cost, when I have a good dealer here. The echo dealer carries Scag mowers which I purchased from him vs Toro from my Sthil dealer.. Even as a homeowner I learned long ago to buy the best equipment you can afford, and from a reputable dealer, and have fewer problems and frustrations.. The equipment I have for my 1.75 acres would serve a pro quite well. Most of my Stihl except for the BR600 is pushing 18-20 years old and still going strong with no problems.

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Nice chart, it would be even better if you added stihl & shin's 2-strokes and the EBZ7001 from redmax cause they're all good sellers.

Fact is this does'nt speak anything about reliability, there's supposed to be engine problems with both the 4-strokers and the redmax rod bearing wearing out. Hope some owners will reply and shed some truth on this.

8. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4 stroke BR600 & KM130 that I have are beasts (as far as power). They have not had one problem (besides running out of gas!). I love them both, they start on the first or second pull - both of them do.

9. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

The Shindaiwa EB8510 is the best backpack you will get for your money. Its a 4 stroke 80CC engine. Cant get much more powerful than that?!?! I hear things about the Redmax etc. But you cant beat this company, ive droped 5 of the EB8510 off the truck while moving at 35-40 and nothing has broken. I know there is a recall on the fan because it is so powerful, that they had to upgrade the fan so it wouldnt break. But other than that, you cant beat this machine, the company has been around this long so they are doing something right no?

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i have a 4 stroke trimmer that is pushin 6-7 years old and the only thing that has gone bad is the ignition module, but it went out during the 5 yr period that stihl warranties them for. the thing has countless hours on it, and hasn't been run correctly by many guys that have come and go, but has never had any issues, i use it w/ the guard off and some of the guys have used waaaaay too much string and it STIHL goes strong.