TRY again Help with Cemetery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Apr 28, 2003.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

I put a post up a few days ago and got no replies so I will try again. Well here is the story everyone. Lady calls about a cemetery needs cut. It has not been cut yet this year but it is not to high except one area. The total acreage is 14 but the tombstones are scattered every which way. There is no clear cut path to take. The number of tombstones is unknown. Lets just say there are lot. I have been researching on here but am still uncertain about a price and how long it might even take. Second question is what kind of equipment would be best. Would a tractor or zturn work better? I am trying to cut as much time off as I can. The third question I have is how many people should I have mowing and how many trimming for a job of this size. I am planning on cutting one day and coming back the next day to trim.
  2. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge around $1000.00 You and 2 other men should be able to mow and trim all in one day.hope this helps.P.S THE THOUSAND WOULD BE IF I WANTED IT BADLY.
  3. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

gonna be honest... it seems like it might to much for you right now. if you'd underestimate, it could make for a long year.

but hey, if you think you can do it, go for it!!
  4. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take this as me being an A** but you may want to pass on this one .Judging by your questions you may need more time in this type of work before you take on one this big.Cemetaries take a long time;See if Bluesteel can help you.I just picked one up(not by choice but in a package deal)that is only 2 acres and it is a PITA.Been there since 1700's and it's a nightmare since things are all over the place with no organization.Best of luck to you and hope it works out.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the others, pass on it. Get some experience first, then you will have more information to make an educated proposal.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

A 14 acre cemetary that is full of stones, no open areas?

If that is the case, I can tell you from experience that my 1 acre cemetary with 289 stones takes 1 hr. or maybe a little more to trim. I only have to trim every third time, but be aware that it takes a long time to trim an acre of stones.

Also it takes about 3 times as long to mow between rows and dip an dodge and try to follow uneven rows as it does open mowing.

All in all I think you need to charge about 4 to 5 times your normal per acre charge.

Thanks Brad
  7. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

Hope this helps. I mow a 14 acre cemetery and I have 2 52" cut snapper ZTRS and a 61" snapper ZTR. Half of it is headstones and the other half is just grass. There is three of us and it takes four and a half hours. I acquired this this year. The first weed-eating will be a bit**. Weed-eat with a guy on each side of the headstones and just go back and forth down the rows. I bid it at 345 which is to cheap, but it was to set an example to some bullshi***** and scrubs. other people bid this from 980, 920, 600, 500, 450, and then mine. Good luck
  8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I don't understand your theory on this one.
  9. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

There alot of people that think they mow in my area. This was a way to get rid of one of them. Everything is paid for so there was nothing to lose. Just thought that the other prices might help him.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Since there is no really "organization" or layout to the cemetery I would pass. This will be a trimming nightmare. Unless they will pay you by the hour (good luck on this) I would stay away from this one.