Try to follow me on this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hypothetical Property

Takes 2 men 1 hour or 2 man hours

Assuming 1 man mows for 1 hour using a 52" Z and the other guy trims and blows for one hour

OK add a 3rd guy with a 52" Z. Each man mows for 30 minutes and the trim guy has been trimming for 30 minutes that leaves 30 minutes of trimming and blowing. Both mowers grab a trimmer and start trimming they should finish in 10 minutes.

So I've now knocked 20 minutes of that property, which means if I'm doing lets say 10 props just like the hypothetical one I should knock off 200 minutes per day which means I can now mow 3 more lawns, I'm assuming some effeciency problems with adding the 3 extra lawns a day but with an extra 200 minutes and adding 3 lawns at 40 minutes each should be reasonable.

I know there are all kinds of variables drive time down time property issues. Just humor me a little what is wrong with my thinking.

I guess what I'm asking is a 3 man crew more profitable than a 2 man crew assuming you have the correct equipment and a fairly tight route.

Your professional opinions are appreciated all others will be laughed at and ridiculed.:eek:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have used a three man crew in the past and it was a waste of time and money. They only saved very little time during the day. There is just too much confusion going on with who did what. A lot of times someone is just standing around

3. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

Come again?!?

P.S. - In theory, yes. In reality, no.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on your properties, but from my experience you will not save very much time. #1 The more people, the slower they work- They feel less pressured to get done fast. #2 More areas will get missed because of the "I thought you got it" excuse and #3 and most importantly, nobody likes to ride around in a truck with three sweaty dudes.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why is there such a need to work every possable minute of the day? Charge a little more for the one you do and relax a little, your going to burn out fast if you think you need to fill every minute of the day mowing.

Mac

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Mike..

In my opinion 3 men or more would be more profitable than 2 if you are in one spot for a good part of the day.. ie. large commercial or multiple houses on a street.

7. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

What does that answer have to do with my question ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :confused:

8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Can you elaborate what size props was the guy standing around because he had nothing to do or was he just lazy.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

all types of props from 8,000sq ft on up. At least someone was standing around waiting for the others to finish blowing or trimming.

10. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

tiedman,

how about 1 acre props did it work better on larger props. On a smaller prop I could see a guy standing around waiting but bigger props I would think would be different.