Try to sell accounts or just drop them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Jun 9, 2008.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

I have 6 accounts that are no longer worth my time or an employees time servicing. Due to the spike in gas prices I am cutting out all customers not located within a certain distance from the office. They are all good paying and loyal customers but after an audit I realized they are not profitable.

The question is; should I attempt to sell the accounts or simply call and let them know I can no longer provide the service?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I just went through this exact thing last month. I dropped seven accounts in northeast Raleigh to focus my efforts in the southern half of Raleigh and Cary. It was over $1300/month and I couldn't be happier.

What I did was give them to a friend and fellow LCO who lives on that side of town. I didn't want to just drop the customers since some of them had been with me several years. I introduced him to the customers and went over what all I had been doing for them and then they were his. :)

If he gets any requests for work on my side of town, he'll forward that information to me. That part may work out or it may not but I still think this was one of the best moves I've made all year. :waving: