1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trying for that Second Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Master of the Lawn, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Anyone out there have any suggestions on how to start a second crew? Should i start it out as a one man show, then grow it. My goal is two run two crews of two men each. that would be enough to handle initself. What do you pay the foreman/driver? Thank You for help. A.O.Smith ;) ;)
  2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering, how many weekly accounts do you have?
  3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

All I have to say is good luck.............I started a second crew last year.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

We need to know how many accounts you have!
  5. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

If you have guys trained on the lawns go for it. If your guys are gonna destroy everthing and need a babba everyday don't. As for peoples good and bad experiences thats theirs do to bad luck, lack of social skills, or they can't afford decent people. One good tip a boss used on me for the lawn route 5 years ago was I got a salary based on man hours of the lawns averaged out my pay was 13 an hour and the other guy with only a little experience 9 an hour. Needless to say the first week took 45 hour per man the second took 40, etc... I had that route banged out on a average of 36 hours most of the season and it looked great... I let the other guy mow most of the time and weedwhacked everything myself because I was afraid if he screwed up I would be sitting next to my boss again and losing pay.
  6. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

During peak season i run about 12-14 yards a day. I don't even think about stoping for less than $ 30. Right now i'am working along with another man. I know could'nt work a second crew year round. I've been thinking about getting into the yellow pages to help generate calls. Here in SA we have a north side yellow pages to help target customers.
  7. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

How many hours are you and the other guys working a week? Is the other guy motivated by more money and a good work ethic?
  8. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Right now about 30hrs week grass hasnt started yet. The other guy is money motivated with a good work ethic .
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was me I would get my 2 man crew maxed out like 50 plus hrs a week and then add a 1 man crew to take the 2 man back to 35 hrs. Put new guy with you and put experienced one by himself. And after you get the 1 man crew going start selling more lawn work to get everybody back to full week.
  10. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful......Getting a second crew means quality is going to go down. If you are a mow, blow, an go lco, then there is no problem. If you want to maintain quality, you might want to re-evaluate the situation. The second crew will not maintaim the quality you expect, or the same quality that you yourself provide.

I have been there an done it. Finally had to drop the second crew thing. I couldn't find anyone that was on the same level as me...If I could find that special someone, they would have it made.

You have to have that special individual that is a team player, and is looking to get to that same goal you are. If you have found that someone, great! If you haven't, you will know soon enough.