1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trying to beat the heat.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jun 15, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Heads up guys, I've noticed, ever since the heat started coming on a little stronger, that after a day of solid work, I'll come home and smell like ammonia from sweating so much. I've found out that this is from sweating so much that the sweat becomes concentrated. Translation; I'm not drinking enough water and working like mad. Bad combo. Stay hydrated, drink plenty of water. I'm going to fill up my water cooler and take it with me and invest in a camelback later on. You guys stay out of the news out there.
  2. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Ween the weather is this warm, we should be drinking all day long, and you should drink before you feel thirsty. It's tough to overcome a state of dehydration. So drink preventatively. Otherwise you will fall out and wake up to see Ray Kirby sticking an IV into your arm. Not what I want to wake up to.

Be careful out there, Bill Craig
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just think ....first day of Summer June 21st .....should really be cookin' next month ..... hardly wait .... that's when the flea'a start jumpin off the dog ;->
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I once got heat prostration and I was able to recognize the signs and stop before I went into heat stroke.

it took all weekend to get back to normal. if I'd stroked out, then who knows where I'd be now.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

One of the members wrote in a past thread that if your urine is dark yellow or you are not going then you are not drinking enough and dehydrating. I keep a 5 gallon cooler with at least a couple gallons at start all the time. I recently made a holder for the trailer because it was bouncing around the truck bed always in the way.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

water water water,pace your self.different game in the heat
    especially as you get older.
  7. Alan

Alan Member

Ok folks, who's the resident expert on heat related problems? It was 96 here yesterday and I'm starting to think it got to me pretty bad. Had to spend the day with lime and fertilizer, all day, in fact. Luckily I had a tow behind spreader but ti was still swelter city. Took a couple hour break from 4:30 to 6:30, then went back out and finished up. Didn't dare leave the pelletized lime in the truck, thundershowers in the forecast and that stuff turns to goo if it gets wet.

Anyhow, I slept in this morning for a bit, had one lawn to do and one renovstion job to look at and that was it. And lucky that it was! I'm sitting here with a breeze coming in the window and I'm still about three sheets to the wind. Light headed, sweating and cold chills, feeling kinda remote from everything, like when you have taken some serious painkillers and getting nice and drowsy from them. Never been quite like this before and it's a little worrisome. Drank a LOT yesterday and into the evening, still pumping fluids today and NOT going back out for anything.

What's the opinion, should I be concerned or will this pass with a day of rest?
  8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you should call a dr.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Dehydration and exhaustion are a couple of things that sneak up on a guy without him knowing about it. If you are not acclimated to the heat then you have a greater chance of having heat related problems. If you slowly work in the heat you will let your body adjust to it. Thats not always possible to do. The other variable is how tired you are, what I mean is are you getting sufficient rest after you work or have you been going 100 mph for the past 2 months? This is something only you can know. Another test you can do to see if you are starting to become dehydrated is to check the color of your pee. If it is dark yellow you are at the beginning stages. Keep the fluids, see the doc if ya cant shake the tired feeling after a day or 2 rest. Let me know what happens. Good Luck.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I keep a jug full of ice water and drink it after each task even if i am not thirsty. You dont feel water logged at the end of the day because you will be sweating it out. If you stop sweating and start getting tingley then you are in trouble and need to get in an airconditioned area fast.