Trying to decide between exmark and dixie chopper could use some opinions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Apr 24, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I keep looking at different mowers trying to decide what on would be best for me. I have been looking at the exmark 52inch walk behind for some time. I like the new controls and the fact its width matches my Z. It would also alo me to cut in some places I cant take my Z but have a Z sized deck. I also like the deck and striping kit.

The dixie chopper I just started thinkg about. We have a new dealer in town and I got a up close look at it. What I like about all my mowers I own is they are built very well using heavy gauge metal on the body and deck. The dixie doesnt look that well built at first glance. How ever I do like its lay out of engine so its very easy to service, also I like the options it comes with and am very impressed with the lawns I see cut with them. I like the side discharge/mulching plate selector from the seat, and the double blade adaptor. As for speed well you go 15 mph down a wet lawn and all your gonna do is tear up the grass when you slide to a stop if your not very careful. The super mulcher with the chains looks like a liability, I could see those link getting weakend very easily and breaking off and costing me big. I also like the stainless contruction.
    If any on could help this guy make up his mind I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. barringtonbrothers

Forgot to mention also been looking at walker stander and Z. Dont like the fact the decks dont float ont the stander and to adjust cutting highth you have to unbolt the blades and adjust the washers.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

4. barringtonbrothers

The problem with demo is I cant tell what design flaws a machine will have pop up in the next 5 years in a half hour. Im looking for the advice of people who own these machines or brands.

5. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

It really doesn't matter if you are buying a skateboard or a Cadillac, dealer support is what is going to keep them running. Undoubtedly something will go wrong with them as they ALL will have something happen at one time or another. Closest, best dealer support, is what wins. All the top name commercial mowers are GOOD. Dealer support is what makes or breaks them!

6. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Demo the machine for the day. Do a search on here for any bad remarks.

There both good machines. Your choice. But don't buy it without demoing it.

7. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

what are the dealers requiring from you on a demo for a day?

8. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer asked for my drivers license to copy it and a phone #.. It's worth it..