Trying to decide

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertclarence, Jul 27, 2004.

1. robertclarence

robertclarence LawnSite Member

I'm trying to decide between purchasing a Great Dane Chariot , 60" deck, 25hp Koehler w/ 600hrs on it or an ExMark Turf Ranger, 60" deck 22hp Koehler w/ 800 hrs. Both are in very good shape and are great deals. I've got about 3 acres residential law to mow (may consider doing extra lawns on the side) , half is a bumpy field (moles) and the other half of the lawn has a lot of pine trees to go around. Anybody worked with either of these mowers? What do you think about them? Would one work better than the other? Thanks!

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Spare yourself lot's of headaches and avoid the Dane' like the plauge.. I bought a leftover Super Surfer from a dealer that quit carrying them.. The reason that they, and almost every other dealer around here doesn't sell them anymore is: Parts, or actually, the extreme difficulty of getting them. It's not really a bad mower, it's just nothing special, and the Dane decks ( at least in my case) don't handle heavy growth too well.. I do love the Stand up opperation of my Surfer, but the rest of it doecn't really impress me too much.. If you can, try them on your property and see which you like best.. Hope I helped you..

3. txlawnking

I will say though that the Dane will probably be more productive, unless your property is lots of long straight mowing with little or no obstacles. Out fronts aren't as manueverable..

4. robertclarence

robertclarence LawnSite Member

Help me understand... So the front ends don't maneuver as well as the zero turns but are better on the straight runs w/ no obstacles? I thought they would be better for trimming around things because the deck can sweep underneath trees etc. Does either have a reputation for cutting better than the other? The ExMark has the single wheel behind the seat and it really spun me around when I turned 180! Also - I was told that ExMark is owned by Toro and Great Dane is owned by John Deere? There are a lot of John Deere dealers up here so I figure they'd be able to get parts for them? Am I right? Thanks for the suggestion of trying them out first. (Hope they let me.)

5. txlawnking

Yes, the frony mount is more manuverable, trust me. Your correct about the ownership of both companies.. But Have fun trying to get parts for the Dane @ your local Deere dealer... Been there tried that.. Good ole JD bought them out and the only Dane machine that JD sells under their Badge is the JD quick track series, and JD has taken the liberty to make parts NON interchangeable between the two.. IMO, I think JD will extract all of the Good aspects of GD's machines ( patent rights, whatever ) then I bet Great Dane will disappear. Exmark has aPretty good rep for a nice cut, But like I said, try to see for yourself.. And if you like to poke the deck under obstacle and such, then maybe the Exmark will suit you just fine..