trying to do favors.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Scapes, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Yesterday I was cutting a small duplex complex where Im only under contract to mow the common areas. The gated back yards are the tennants resposibility.

A older lady came out with a Sister so and so First Baptist Church name tag on and asked me to do her back yard. I said ok Im only contracted to do the front so I will have to charge you for the back. She said ok how much. I went and looked and it was about 2500k but 1-2ft tall in some areas. I being the good christian I am shot her a price of 20 bucks. This is about half what I would normall go for if they didnt want it raked or bagged.

She screams 20 dollars!!! and went back in the house without a word. Now it was 104 yesterday with the heat index and I worked 13 hours. If I was goingt o try and get something out of a hard worker I would of at least taken him a drink or something. She left before I finished and I know it was stupid but When I seen her with the hospital clergy pass on her car I knew she was going to visit sick and dying people and that just hit a soft spot with me. I did the back at no charge and left her a note just saying God Bless you. I know im gonna catch flack over this from some of you but it just made me feel pretty good. I still grossed over 900 yesterday so its not like it was going to kill me to take 30 min to do this yard.

2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you just said it all. That was a very nice thing you did. Some things in life you just can not place a price on.

3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad you're happy, because something tells me this lady is still not happy----even with a free cut.

4. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What comes around, goes around. Heck, she's probably used to kids mowing with dad's mower for $5-$10, not a lawncare professional that has overhead. If it made you feel good, and you were willing to use YOUR time and YOUR equipment, what does what the rest of the world thinks of you matter, it's no skin off their noses.

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I've done things like this alot of times...most of the time they don't even acknowledge that you helped them out...do the right thing and the rest wil take care of itself.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think i'm gonna be sick.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bobbygedd what are we going to do with you? :)

8. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a christian too but I think the heat must have effected you in judgment because after the way she acted I would have never done her backyard for her BUT I would have prayed for her. :D

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Good for you! I might try that on a lawn sometime. :)

10. jayandlo

jayandlo LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I'm fine with the free cut. What alarmed me was that you were going to accept $20.00 for a job worth $40.00.