1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trying to figure something out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a friend who is trying to get a few yards. He has looked at a couple of mowers. They are the Turf Tiger and Deere 757. I have the Turf Tiger and have used the deere zero before. My personal preference is the Scag all the way. We went to look at the Deere in more detail. And after comparing the two we were wondering is the Deere a single hydro???? I couldnt find but one pump on the mower and the brochure said it has a "single-body dual-unitized Kanzaki pump."I asked the dealer and he said it was a single pump but it hold alot of fluid and that was what kept it cool? Any info on the number of pumps would be appreciated.
  2. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

You might want to relook that. I have a 757, and It has 2 pumps with 2 wheel motors. However, the 717 and 737, the smaller framed ones, use the 'unitized' pump. The deere's already have a large fluid tank to keep it all cool, but I would assume that there's some reason behind it. Basically i think the dual pump is simply two pumps in the same housing. I can see its purpose in the smaller motor, but I wouldn't see a reason for it in he midsize z? then again, I would see no problem with it either if it were up to me.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Itz good till the pump is shot they are over $900 bucks.
  4. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

Just looked at the parts website, around when they switched from the 7iron to the 7ironII they changed the design from dual pumps to a single. why, I have no idea.

Also, just checked and a new dual hydro pump is around $650, versus $430 for a single pump on the older 757's
  5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Checked out the JD 777 just a couple of days ago. The only reason we went into more detail with the 777 was it is a Liquid Cooled Kawi engine that is JD proprietary which I did not like to be dependent on JD only. Also found out that JD Only used a beltdrive deck drive, No Driveshaft on all Zero models. If I wanted that type of system I'd buy a Scag Wildcat, come on Scag you can do better with your Wildcat. Also the JD pump is a combination unit in the same housing. Sure am glad I didn't purchase the 777. Looking for another Scag TT.
  6. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

I commited to purchasing a 777 deere today. I looked carefully at some of the different models and I see what you are stating about the single pump. It was a concern that I had until I researched it more. Its, as stated in some of the other posts, a unitized pump meaning its one housing containing both pumps. Its not the standard of the industry similar to what you would see on a Exmark but it works. I did some searchs here on the site aswell as spoke to a few technicians and there isnt a problem with the units that caused me to be concerned. Of course they have issues as does any hyrdo system but it didnt seem to be any more of a problem than the others. I didnt let it bother me. I was more concerned with the cut on the grass types I deal with and it did well for me.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Early 2004 Deere switched over to the dual unitized pump. There are TWO pumps enclosed in the housing and they are rebuildable. Cost is around $600 for the whole unit. I think Deere did this mainly to save room but also i think the responsivness is better. You don't have to buy the parts from Deere either, you can order direct if you want to.