Trying to figure this out... Sponsors please help to

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

So I am trying to figure this out... With the raise in gas prices why are the manufactures coming out with big blocks on mowers that still have carbs. I mean I figure cost is a big thing but I think its completely ridiculous. The auto industry is switching to turbos and direct injection. Why not make these 37 hp Kaws, 40 hp Kohlers, and 35 hp Briggs with EFI? Manufactures please chime in here... I would love to pay 500 more for a more efficient machine if I know it will save me later in life on my operating costs. Plus, manufactures, wouldn't this help you in the service department to? Example: Jo is having a problem with his mower... he would have to take it to the dealership instead of Phil's mower repair right? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

2. Willofalltrades

Think this should be in the business management forum?

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is why I think that they don't, very simple. Cost, it would be a costly upgrade.

4. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Go check these websites out and let me know how many fuel Injected options there are.

http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76230

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/enginefamilies.jsp

http://www.kawpowr.com/4cycle.asp

How many EFI options did you find? Not many.

Even more difficult, how about vertical shaft EFI options. Even fewer.

Cost comes into play also. EFI is an expensive option. It tough to quantify the actual amount of fuel saved in actual operating conditions.

I'm sure the engine OEM's have more low cost options on the way. They're just not available yet.

Q

5. Willofalltrades

These machines are using close to 3 gal. per hour... if you log 300-500 hours a season on a machine a season, and with gas at $3 a gal. ($3.50 by me). If they could make them get 2 gal. per hour and you cut your fuel usage you could save between $900 and $1500 a season (1 gal x $3.00 per gal x 300 or 500 hours). If you keep the mower for 3 seasons that's $2700-$4500 your business saves over a few years. I know I said I would pay $500 more for a mower with EFI.... I would even pay a grand... and all the manufactures use the same engines from the same companies so its not like they need to worry about their competition being that much more inexpensive... EXMARK, HUSTLER, talk to your boys for me lol I give kudos to Kohler for making the 31hp motor in the Scag Turf Tiger and Walker MTL EFI (and LC)...

6. Willofalltrades

Heres another thing, Kawasaki is making mostly everything new they come out with in the powersports division with EFI... Can't be that much more money to Electronicly Fuel Inject a lawnmower lol.

7. Willofalltrades

120 views and I'm the only one with a opinion? I think this is a pretty important issue...

8. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Great thought, unfortunately I have nothing to add to the discussion

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

your right about all the major players in the power sports division moving to EFI. the cost of these new machines arent really that much more over previous carbed models either.

the thing is, you are gonna need a fuel mapping controller to run in conjunction with a cdi box of some sort to get the fuel mixture right with the amount of spartk. thats alot of extras that im not too sure id want on a mower that im looking to be as reliable as possible.

http://www.microsquirt.info/

check that site out for add-on efi kits.

10. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

ProTouch,
    "thats alot of extras that im not too sure id want on a mower that im looking to be as reliable as possible" sounds like the comments (including mine) about early fuel injected cars and trucks. More parts, yes, but more reliable too.