trying to get a few accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smitty012, Mar 30, 2007.

1. smitty012

smitty012 LawnSite Member

I cut my lawn which is about an acre, I also cut a property that is 3-4 acres, and recently purchased a Gravely ztr. I am looking at getting another commercial account and/or a few residential accounts. I am not a landscaper, I work as a police officer on 12 hour shifts, so I have alot of days off. I just want a few accounts as a small part time business. My question is, I don't have the first clue on how to bid jobs. I have 2 people wanting me to give them a price on cutting their lawn. The houses are in a nice development, approximately half acres lot sizes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

try to think about how long it takes you to cut that much grass, and weedeat, edge and what ever else you would have to do to it...

think about how much YOUR expence would be.
    think about how much YOU think your time is worth.

for my self I have learned to keep my time at 35-50 an hour...and that's JUST for me, the owner of a comapny.. NOT with a helper...

try NOT to work by the hour but by the job.
    dont do like I have done and just look at the land... WALK IT...
    some times there are hidden surprises.

Good luch and I hope this helps..

and NOT everyone will agree
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Bohiaa hit it on the head I think. For me with 3 guys I try and get at least $120/h however with a half acre of grass we can be in and out in 20 minutes so id bid around $40-$45.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

40 bucks for each of the 1/2 acres, that's around 21.5k sq. feet of turf.
    Unless there's a really steep hill where you'll roll end over end every 3rd visit out, or a pond that threatens to swallow your mower every time you get within 15 feet of it, you know, so long it's basically your average turf.
    Do walk it, case they have sprinkler pvc pipes or water meters or stumps or any other surprises, so you know that.