trying to get blades off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Nov 21, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a super z and I am trying to get the blades off it. I have changed the blades about 20 times and this time I got 2 out of the 3 off. I use and Impact wrench and the last one wont budge. I tried turning up the psi and still nothing. I also tired a 2 foot breaker bar and had no luck. Any another ideas?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Use a long(4') peice of pipe on your braker bar. There is a 50-50 chance that the bolt will brake inside the spindle housing.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Freeze the bolt with liquid N2, Heat the housing with a torch on low mix.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

One time I had to slip a piece of pipe about 4 feet long , over the ratchet handle, in order to break the blade bolt free. I blocked the blade movment with a 2x4.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have ran across a few like that, Had to put the torch on the nut and heat it up. It's not a good thing to do if there is a seal in the bottom of the spindle but thats the only choice I had then replaced the seal, I'm not sure if yours has a seal or not.

Good Luck

6. stevesmowing

I got it off with a breaker bar and pipe totaling 36". Man was that on there tight. Thanks for the tips.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure why it got like that, but a product called anti-seize or never seize works great. It can help prevent it from happening again

8. stevesmowing

yea i thought about that... They use that on spark plugs and O2 senors I belive as well

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Take it to a mechanic that has a 3/4" or 1" impact gun and he can take it off very easily. Do you have a small 20-30 gallon air compressor with an inexpensive 1/2" impact? If you do and you hit something with that blade it has gotten very tight and you will not get it off without hurting yourself or breaking something. Trust me- take it to a shop.

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a piece of fence pipe about 5 feet long that I stick on the breaker bar, and lock the blade in place to break the bolts loose with. it works GREAT on almost anything I can put it on.