Trying To Get Set-Up... Equipment Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by p7m8hk, May 22, 2006.

1. p7m8hk

p7m8hk LawnSite Member

Hello All,

I'm trying to get set-up. I have been reading these posts for a couple of weeks. I only have about $7500 to spend on my equipment. I can get a Husqvarna iZ6125T or a Hustler Super Z (60") for about $6500.00 + tax. Which ZTR would you get? Other options in price range? Currently have a couple bigger lots to cut (one is 5 acres, one is about 4 acres).

Right now I only have res. cheapo equipment. as far as blowers, trimmers and etc... do you like Husqvarna or stil both can be purchased and serviced locally with good service. 4 cycle vs 2 cycle??

I have tried to read however, it seems kinda like the ol " which is better ford, chevy, dodge....."

Thanks for your time.

2. higgyandson

higgyandson LawnSite Member

You are correct about the "Which is better..." routine on here. We have tried several mowers in our northern atmosphere and found Snappers and Gravely to work for us. We have resolved to not go larger than a 52" deck on ZTR's due to landscapers tendency to plant evergreens on little hills which in-turn cause larger decks to dip on the downhill side and leave a ridge or scalp line. We just bought two Gravely 252Z's with 25 hp Kawasaki motors. These engines prove to be fairly trouble free and reliable but repair costs can be testy. With good regular maint. and care they stand up very well. If interested we have 2 Snapper Z's for sale that have 2 years of commercail warranty left. Both have baggers and blowers because we bag 99% of our properties. Stihl has a great trimmer so does Echo! Go where you get the best service and stick with the tried and true!:cool2:

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

That's a real good price on a 60" Super Z, if it's new and depends on what engine. If you're just starting out, you might not need the biggest mower available unless you're going for the bigger yards. I liked the Super Z, but went with the Mini-Z with the susp seat because it will do what the Super Z will do, just a little slower. I've found the Super-Z is at times a little too heavy and big whereas my Mini isn't in some places.

I had about the same amount to invest and bought a 52" Mini-Z with 19hp Kaw. $6300 out the door with suspension seat and hitch kit. Had a good Stihl weedeater already. Bought a new Stihl KM110R with edger, Redmax 7001, Toro Super Recycler personal pace mower. Total thus far has been about $7700 plus misc things.

Leave yourself some "fudging" room in your budget for things that you don't realize at the beginning.

Good luck
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Trust me friend, your ZTR choice is a complete no-brainer!

Get the Hustler.

Husqvarna just ain't the same name brand it used to be since they sold out.

So take advice from a guy who learned that the hard way....
    If you are using it to make a living, Husqvarna just ain't gonna cut it.
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Between the Husqvarna and Hustler, the Hustler is definately the better choice; I do agree witht he other post about considering a Mini Z instead of a Super. The very few times my Mini has been in the shop I've had a Super Z to use, and while they're a great mower, if it's your only one, it might be a bit big and heavy for some yards.

Again choosing between Husqvarna and Stihl, hands down it's Stihl.
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Just to be the devils advocate..... If your 4 and 5 acre jobs are really money makers, listen to the advice above. If they are not, consider a 36 or 48" walk behind, dump the big lots and go after smaller more profitable jobs.
  7. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

If you don't have the cash flow, you are better off with a 36" or 48" WB. You will be far more productive with it than the equipment you now have. Then, when that is paid off, get your ZTR. After that, you still have that 36" to go through gates and into backyards. You also have a backup and are not out a huge amount of funds up front.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto, very good advice. W/Bs are good for everything. Z's are to big for many. I would advise all new guys to start with a W/B
  9. 99Aubie

99Aubie LawnSite Member

Hey Clete,

Send me an email of what it is you want or looking for. I have equipment that is practically brand new in STL that I'm looking to sell off as I have another opportunity that's presented itself.

you can email me @ I can send you pictures of what I have and give you further details.