1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trying to grow bigger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Jan 7, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

hey ive been in the buisness for one season now i have 10 lawn care accounts and i do other things also but my question is i have to work at my regular job because im not making enough money with the lawn buisness and in order for me to take on more jobs i cant work at my other job because all i will have is saturdays to do anything but i really want to grow in the buisness does anybody have any suggestions thanks.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What are you doing for your day job now?
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Could you do any any lawns during the week at all? The only other sugesstion would be to hire help. I know that you only have ten lawns and that is a tough one. However, if you are limited to time. If you want to grow you will have to clone yourself.
  4. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to grow bigger dive in and do a lot of advertising so you can just mow lawns, I put an ad in the paper and got 15 lawns off that alone, get the contracts now so you can plan ahead, if you end up not getting enough hire a helper for that one day and knock out as much as you can.
  5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

I'd try to sell the ten customers that you do have more services. Like bed edging, pruning, mulching, bed maintenance. Core aerating (anytime of year), de-thatching (spring or fall). Offer the ten customers you have a discounted service if the send you some referall from new customers. Take the time early in the spring to get out there and blanket neighborhoods w/ fliers offering a sping deal(de-thatch, mow and bag deal) toget thier lawns off to a great start. Hang some fliers on tele polls or anywhere you see lose weight fast sign around town......that outta be a good startfor ya. I'll babble more later.
    GOOD LUCK !!
  6. plantzpropertymanagement

i am trash hauler.
  7. plantzpropertymanagement

thanks for the tips i figure im just going to have to pick one or the other or try to find somebody to do the work for me.
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Go to your local dealer and usually they have a bulletin board where people are selling their equipment and even their accounts - call them - see why they are selling their equipment - often times these are people who are getting out of business and are looking to unload clients - often times cheap, and even sometimes for free.
  9. plantzpropertymanagement

hey thanks for the tip