trying to grow my business should i go towards landscaping or lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jul 15, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

OK. right now i'm doing my business on the side from a full time job. i'm working about 25 hrs a week cutting grass.. I'm doing this by myself and i'm bringing in about $1100 week. Next year i want to hopefully go full time. i wanted to get more involved in either landscaping or lawn care (like fertilizing) i do have my pesticide license. i wanted to find out what direction has more growth and money making oppertunities. I'm also considering joining either alca or plcaa depending on what directions i go. i guess alca is more towards landscaping and plcaa is more to do with turf. looking for some suggestions on what direction to go.

2. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Landscaping has a huge market of big money making oppurtunitys, but I like cutting lawns and maintaining them more than doing landscaping

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

depends how hard you want to work.If you are going to continue on your own for a while landscaping is a whole lot more hard work than lawn care just ask my back and it will tell you!

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not both. Have like 2 crews for lawn service depending on the amount of accounts and then have a crew for landscaping. Take your best employee and make him a foreman and have him help you manage the lawn crews or landscape crews.

5. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

no i don't entend just working myself.. i'm trying to get to the point where i can expland things.. just trying to find what way to go first.. one day i do want to be in both fields generating a lot of income.. but i'm trying to take small steps at a time so i don't make that many mistakes.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, since you are already in the lawn care, why not expand in that since you already have the knowledge, reputation(hopefully), and equipment. Once you get a large base of lawn care clients, then you can take yourself to the landscaping side by soliciting work from your existing clients.