Trying to Grow too Fast?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kinglin, Jun 5, 2008.

1. kinglin

kinglin LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I'm wanting to list my company in the phone book, newspaper, and hand out 5000 flyers. Small city of 300,000. I'm only going to have two 21'' mowers, two trimmers, two blowers, and one truck. Am I trying to grow beyond my means?
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Plan for the worst and hope for the best!,If you get swamped it doesn't take long to get equip!
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Phone book(no) :nono: waste of money if you cant afford a pic to go with you number = Big $$ . Newspaper (no):nono: advertise with the local low rent free paper, you want to target older people and by doing that place your ad in one of your local FREE paper (older people read those) otherwise your wasting you time and money because nobody calls for work out of the high dollars paper unless you have a monster add.(doubt it!$$$)
    Flyers (great idea) people like to get prices for lawn care without having to call someone (make sure to put a price on them and dont talk them if you dont have to) (placing flyer on doors = advertising. Talking to the homer owner wile placing flyers on door = soliciting :nono:) and it make it easier for you to get work when all they have to do is call you to do the work instead of you running back and forth giving estimates and wasting fuel$$$ it has been my experiance that you will get more work from word of mouth then any other means you try or pay for! and the answer to your question is No! Best of luck in the biz and when you can try to budget it in at least a 48" walk behind (speed = more $$$$$)

P.S. Dont put any of your flyers in any mail boxes. Thats a no no with the post master! its a federal thing