trying to help a friend out.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnwizards, Jul 22, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have this friend who just recently had a house built. she is now in need of a lawn but she has the crummiest soil i've ever seen. its this god awful clay. i've already figured up her lot to be around 8-9k square feet. what should she do to fix this to grow grass? i was thinking about a 2 inch layer of topsoil rolled then slit seeded. what are some other ideas you all can come up with that might save her some money? thanks.

randy.

2. Bigdog9501

Bigdog9501 LawnSite Member

Astroturf? LOL Just kidding Just think, no lawn expenses. No watering and her yard stays green all year long.

3. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Send soil samples off for analysis. Usually is not much expense. Probably start off with 2-3" of good top soil, but let the experts tell you exactly what's needed.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

till up the clay soil when dry, install an irrigation system, rake up all clumps of clay apply top soil, apply blue grass seed, top with peat moss, then water, water, water until established.

5. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I agree in tilling the clay but i would till in compost with gypsum. It will change the clay.
    you will need about 6 inches of good soil for grass. make sure you have good drainage.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with robtown in that tilling in compost will fix just about any soil. The gypsum part - I have no experience with, I have always just used sand with compost to loosen up clay.

Since it is early I would add a bunch of stuff now - till it in - let it settle - and grow its weeds - etc.
    Then at planting time kill everything off, add some more compost+ and seed it down.

You can continue to topdress with compost and sand over the coming years as well.