1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trying to help a friend

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Baden, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

How much do you charge to mow a lot at a mobile home park?Figuring the lot is 50x100 with 16x80 ft trailer.
    I am trying to help out a friend.
    Heard one guy and his wife doing them for $5 using a 48"and trimmer.
    I figured $10-12.Dose that sound right to you?Thanks for the help.
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

dont you have a minimum? tell your friend your running a business and its generally not good to do favors if you know what i mean. do to my age and size of my company i have a low minimum of around $15 to $25 (if its a tiny yard ill charge $15 but it has to be tiny).
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

You gotta get there from home base

do the trimming

do the mowing

do the clean-up

load up

No less than $15.00 for sure.

Friends can put a good business out of business.

Quote of the day: If somebody wants something for nothing then give them nothing so you can get something!

Sometimes I confuse myself.
  4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Only have one friend like this at a time.

Set your minimum, and go from there. If you wanted to, give him the first mow free, and then go from there. That way he knows you are helping him.

Personally I don't stop for less than $20. It has to be VERY small before I stop for less than that. I have heard of mins being set at $35. That must be nice.

We are not in this business for our health.
  5. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

Guess I should have explained more.
    When I said $10-12,that's if you were doing a least 8 of them on the same street.Trying to help him get started in the business.I can't mow anymore do to health reasons.When I was mowing my min.charge was $25 and that was below the average of most.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Quantity does make a difference, but what about when half of them leave you and go some where else. Then you are not making money. Maybe not even breaking even.
    Ultimately it is your call.

I had several very small lawns several years ago, side by side. I gave them all a smoking price. Then when 2 of them quit me, suddenly I was not even breaking even on the deal. You have to cover all the bases. And covering your butt should be the first one.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to help them out by advising them on how to make money, then tell them to stay AWAY from the trailer parks! Leave these for the neighborhood kids! In the first place, they take twice as long to trim as they do to mow, because if you can't get down to the bead that holds the skirting, it's just way too easy to tear holes right in that skirting if you don'y go r e a l slow. Then, there is the birdbaths, trees, pink flamingos, etc.. It just isn't even worth it.
  8. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Runner, too much hassle, sure you may need work but you have to ask yourself, "Am I going to be better off with or without this accout?"

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry. I guess I misunderstood the question I was thinking they were going into the biz, and were wondering what to charge for this. However, what YOU were saying, is that you were going to take care of their lawn for them in theis park, and YOU wanted to know what to charge. Is THIS correct? Being that the case, yes as was said earlier, know what ist's going to cost you, and allow THAT to dictate you price. Be honest with yourself.
  10. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

If he's a good friend.........................Do it for nothing. What's a little of your time for a friend.

Show him how to work the trimmer.

Hey, what are friends for anyway?