Trying to learn new ways of garage security

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Popper357, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

My single car garage is my handyman/landscape tool storage area and I'm worried about what would happen if my tools are stolen. I get nervous this time of year and my garage is packed with expensive tools. So I want to learn more ways of sercuring it. Security systems of some type that will work for just the garage or the whole house. My house is hardwired for a security system (brain is bad and everything is old) but the security cos all want a 3 year contract.

I'm not planning on living here three more years so I want to install some type of alarm myself. And if I can start cheap with a garage only alarm I'd be happy. Anyone have a garage alarm or have installed their own house system? I've seen the wireless alarms on ebay and wonder if those work? Any help is apreciated.
    Thanks

2. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

In a past life I was an insurance agent. Statisically if you have a Doberman or other dog your place just doesnt get broken into by a stranger, unless you have a special reason, like diamonds or specialized equiptment. If bad guys can go to the house next door that does not have a dog they will. It is just eaiser. Any dog that barks or bites is a deterrent. On the other hand, I have had dobies for the last 12 years. They are the smartest, eaisest to train, great mannered dogs. They are incredibly loyal and territoryal. My agent was suppose to report me to the company 10 years ago for having "vicious dogs" it is their fear of liability. A dobie can cost an insurnace company more in one bite than it can save in money lost in robberies over 10 years. But I never had to worry about my kids or wife when I worked nights.

3. Popper357

Nice
    I'm with you about dobies. I like dogs and have a pitt whos super smart and a great friend. She's not the best guard dog but I believe she is effective at keeping unwanted intruders away. But my tool collection is getting very pricey and I want more. Thanks

4. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

my garage got broken into a couple years ago. i got up to go to work in the morning and they had used a car jack, and jacked up my garage door. they toke everything down to my trash cans, and droors out of a cabinet. so, they could carry everything in it. i didn't feel safe cause myself and my wife were in the house only 50 feet away, so i decided to get a big dog. i ended up getting two saint bernards. they arent really mean, but they are big and have a big bark. i once got a letter from the power company asking me to make sure they are not out in the yard (fenced in) on certain days due to they are intimadating to the meter person. all they would do is lick ya to death, and drool over ya. but i think it has made a world of difference.
    i also installed a motion light right next to the garage door since it connects to an alley.

5. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

I might be wrong, but if they want your tools bad enough to take on your pit bull an alarm wont help. My father in law has a barn in the country that I could put my equiptment in over the winter, but I am afraid to for exactly the same fear you have. Good luck, hope it is as nice in Kansas City as it is suppose to be in Indy today.

6. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Indiana!!!!

7. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

Try here http://www.cctvforum.com

Good advice.

You can never be "secure” it is not a state of being but a process. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. A bank is not secure but they are more secure than my house.

I would start with CCTV, wired alarm and a big gun, you can have your cctv system email a pic to your phone when it detects motion. Dogs are good but no match for a sleeping pill.

All of the above tell you it is you already have a problem, proper lighting will prevent the problem.

8. Popper357

Yes, this is warm, sunny weather.

My garage door is my big concern. It's a hollow steel door and I could get in it quickly. I've got some ideas but how do you stop a hydro jack? I can't think of any solid ways. I'll upgrade my g door and look into and alarm for now. CCTV would be great. My dog would hear someone tampering with the door unless she's sleeping in bed with me. Normally, she can hear things at night that I can't and she wakes and barks to any unusual sound. An alarm would help get the word out.

My garage entry door is steel and has a huge steel latch jam with 3" screws into the double studs and the hinges. I boarded up the only window and covered the ouside with ply. Someone would need to wake the neighborhood with a sledge to get through my entry door. But that overhead door is lacking

9. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

a family freind has a lot with a supple yard and his shope and it is all fences in with chain linked fence with barbed wire and he has 2 dobies and camaras he was brokeninto once with every thing stollen and then he got this curent stet up. i dont think crooks even think about trying to get in. he also as a crew of guys that at night to mantnes on the equetment so he is pritty safe but he spent alote of money the dogs were alote and the cameras were very price cuz he has them all over and the only entrice is gated and u need a pin or a card to get in but he spent alote on it

10. dnelmo

dnelmo LawnSite Member

Bright exterior lighting has proven to be effective.

If you decide to get a watchdog be sure and check with your homeowners insurance company. Last spring I was going to switch insurance companies to get lower rates. The company asked if I had dogs and what type. My two dogs are each 3/4 Collie and 1/4 German Shepherd. The company turned be down because of the German Shepherd in my dogs - they claim that they will have an aggressive nature and might attack someone. It didn't matter if that someone was a burglar.

Go figure.

dnelmo