Trying to level out a lawn... help!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Threxx, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Well I know they make top dressers for such a purpose among others, but I for the life of me can't find a place that rents them around here.

I've seen people take sand and/or top soil and place it around their yard and smooth it out with a rake or broom or something, but the results have always been 'OK' at best.

On the other hand I saw somebody place some sort of heavy 'bar' attachment on the back of their riding mower to spread sand around their yard, and the results are positively amazing. Their lawn went from extremely uneven to looking like a putting green with just one day's worth of work. I was blown away.

2. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I have constructed 5 R/C race tracks, and found that dragging a skid around up side down works great. If you want to loosen up the top surface use a skid with some hefty woood screws that stick out about a half inch. I will try this on my own lawn this year cause i need to re-do my front yard.

3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Standard Golf sells a product called a levelawn. It will do exactly what you are asking for roughly $100.

4. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Though that appears to be manually operated...

Their "drag brush" looks more like something you'd operate from the back of a lawn tractor but I'm guessing it's pretty expensive and looks like a bit overkill for the job.

I might just have to do it by hand. Levelawn works well on existing turf without tearing it up?

5. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

The most turf friendly tool out there. I have absolutely no qualms about using it on putting greens to break up cores.

I also own the brush you are speaking of. In my opinion it would do a lousy job for your application because there is not enough down pressure on the brushes to suffieciently move the material.

The levelawn is fairly easy to use with little to no effort required. One handed works just fine.

6. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

But lets say I want to add 4 cubic yards to 10,000 sq ft of existing lawn. Wouldn't that take forever? It looks like you'd have a tough time moving a large pile of topsoil around effectively - just doesn't look nearly tall enough to move a big pile and spread it out evenly.

I've previously been using a large push broom - that has worked OK but not 100% ideal either...

7. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

If you try to move all 4 yards at once it will not work. If you take the 4 yards and say tailagte spread it on your lawn the tool will work fine.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you topdress, aerating should be done just prior. Without doing so, could end up with a stratified root system.