trying to save turf from bobcat

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mr Dane, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Mr Dane

Mr Dane LawnSite Member

we use our bobcat on lawns all the time does anyone know of anything we can put down besides plywood to keep from rutting up customers yards thanks

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Alturnamats and Trak Mats are good plywood substitutes. I think the Trak Mats are warranted for 6 years. Both products are available in white to reflect some of the heat from the sun. They are heavy compared to plywood but they last a lot longer.

4. arosan

arosan LawnSite Member

I would suggest looking into DuraDeck mats. www.duradeckmats.com They are less expensive than Alturnamats and you can buy them directly from the manufacturer. They have a double traction surface vs. single.

Tree Spade Web.jpg

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

what size spade you have there? I don't see many of the Vermeer's anymore though I own 2 a 50" and a 36"
    ^^^^ have you tried that bobcat w/ the 4 wheel steering and skid mode? pretty neat

6. arosan

arosan LawnSite Member

The tree spade is an old (1981) 60" tree spade - remounted on a newer chassis.

Yes - I bobcats are no problem, here is a pic of Bobcat on DuraDeck.

Bobcat on mats.gif

7. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

8. LawnScapes of P-Town

LawnScapes of P-Town LawnSite Member

how much do the duradeck run cost wise?

9. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody know how well 1" plywood would hold up with a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins and a 6 yd dump trailer going over it?

10. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on how may times you drive over it and how level the ground is underneath. We have used the same stack of 3/4" plywood to protect lawns during the construction of 4 patios. Bobcats were repeatedly driven over the plywood without destroying it.