Trying to sell interlock vs. stamped concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by leaflandscape, Mar 29, 2008.

1. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We're always asked why interlocking brick is more money than stamped concrete, and we don't do concrete. How do you guys in my position sell brick over concrete. I just wanted to hear some of your sales pitches.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

doesn't crack, can be picked up and put back down for any repairs that need to be made underneath, looks a hell of a lot better, more load bearing capacity, handles the freeze/thaw cycles, in larger patios stamped concrete has the stress line installed right through the middle of the design, pavers have many more design options, can combine multiple colors/shades/blends of pavers, greater salt tolerance, reusable

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I use the same reasons as above, plus around here the stamped is about the same price or more than pavers.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

That's weird, because I just estimated a job yesterday to be done in Brussels Block pavers at approx. $14 sq/ft, and the satmped guy came in just over $9. He must have wanted it more.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Stamped is always (well lets leave it as I've never seen it) going to be cheaper than pavers. The labor savings in concrete is huge over pavers.

6. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

here's the pitch, and it makes all the sense in the world, stamped is nice very nice, But... concrete cracks, show me a pool deck that hasn't, now the stamped guy comes and fixes the crack after a year or so, now you have fresh concrete a different batch because your never get the same color, then the sun fade factor of the original patio stamped will not match the repair...sold!

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

here is what i like to say, in addition to much of what has already been said. you have two types of concrete, concrete that is cracked, and concrete that is going to crack. why spend all of that money on a high end pavement and still have the durability of concrete? its a cheap knockoff of pavers and looks like it too? you can do far better looking things by acid staining concrete that in my opinion knocks the socks off of stamped and cost a lot less. its usually a easy sell, most people just want to hear ur opinion to reassure themselves. i have yet to loose a serious customer to stamped.

8. CinderBlock

CinderBlock LawnSite Member

Another little line you can always throw in, in addition to mentioning the cracking effects is asking the customer to think of interlocking concrete pavements as a "pre-cracked" system. I think this helps them to differentiate why a concrete slab will inevitably crack. You can also describe the pavers as a "flexible" system versus stamped concrete as a "rigid" system which helps paint the picture.

9. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Haha, give me till July and I will have the perfect pitch for you... with pictures. Just signed a job that had put down stamped concrete not even 3 years ago. Job is a disgrace! Where they stamped is a little rough, apparently they pulled up the stamps while the cement was still too wet giving it jagged edges. The pitch is horrible, it's cracking. The expansion joints are unsightly, cracking, heaving, you name it. This guy just got ripped off... period. Now all of it has to come up in order to do pavers. Plus the fact that I offer a 5yr warranty plus the paver MFG's lifetime warranty. Theres just no comparison, plus now at an $80k price tag, it was a rather expensive learning experience for the customer. :hammerhead: