Trying to sell my 03 Expedition - Potential Buyer wants to have it inspected..

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Emerscape, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I have been trying to sell my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer for a couple of months now, and a potential buyer wants to bring it to his mechanic for inspection in Billerica, MA. We live in Boston, the Expedition is down in Marshfield but getting it back and forth isnt the problem. I don't know much about what kind of neighborhood is Billerica, but I kinda feel uncomfortable letting a mechanic I don't know go through it. I'm worried that some parts might go missing or my navigation might walk away. The potential buyer said he would obviously pay for the inspection. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I gotta sell this truck. I'm not worried about anything being wrong with it, it does need new front brakes but thats cake. What would you do? I was thinking of having him bring it to a Ford dealer but I don't know any dealers around to trust and I don't want them trying to sell us on un-needed repairs.
  2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do it if I were you. I'd pick an unbiased Ford dealer near you. If the guy doesn't go for it have him bring his mechanic to you. The way I see it you have everything to lose and nothing to gain by letting him take the truck to his mechanic. If he doesn't find anything wrong he might just make it wrong. Even an unbiased Ford dealer will pick it apart. I know first hand.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

There's a mobile company who does nothing but vehicle inspections. I can't remember their name, but it was a national company. They'll do a 100 or 150 (can't remember) point inspection and print out a report on the spot. I think the cost was also around $100-$150. Try searching the yellow pages or online.
  4. Modifier

Modifier LawnSite Member

Look up:
    I do inspections for them every now and then when they have something in my area (I used to be in automobile insurance in my former life!) The inspector sets up the appointment with the owner, not the seller to inspect the vehicle at their residence or workplace. He/she will go all over the vehicle inside and out and fill out a lengthy report. It does require a test drive but you are certainly welcome to ride along. After 20+ pictures, you are done. Then you just wait for the buyer to bring you money! I have had no problems with the owners setting up inspections or while doing them. In fact, I have no contact with the buyer at collaborating or nit-picking to lower the price. You can even have the seller set it up (and pay for it!) and the inspector won't be given their information. Good luck selling it!

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Id be willingto take the truck for him to his mechanic I'd drive it there and drive it back for him, but Id get a nonrefundable deposit for my time and trouble to take to his mechanic.... That way the truck never leaves your sight...

the truck is only 3 years old and probaly just out of warranty. unless there are a bazillion miles on the truck I don;'t know why he'd need an inspection....
  6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know about massachuchetts laws but in michigan you have to allow them an inspection on their request. whether it be by his or your mechanic it doesnt matter. i sold my 99 chevy2500hd last year and the guy wanted it inspected by his mechanic buddy, no big deal i drove it there and watched the mechanic look over it and then signed the sell papers right after. no biggie
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Frame damage,engine damage ect.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I would not have a mechanic look at any vehicle I was buying, If I felt iffy enough to have mech look at it, then I probably don't want it....

if you can't see frame damage with out a mechanics help, then it was repaired properly, thus not an issue. When I buy cars, the first hing other than the body, that I look at, is the engine bay....If it looks like the engine has never been touched, (washed, cleaned, armorall, ect) I walk away. IMO, its the easiest way to tell what kind of life the vehicle had....

The only thing a mechanic can do with the engine is take out a few plugs and look inside the combustion chamber with a borescope and do a compression The best thing a mechanic can do on the newer cars is plug them into the computer and then let the computer tell the mechanic what has been done, codes , ect....
  9. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I looked into and it looks like a good option. I wouldn't mind bringing it his mechanic if he were close by but I dont have more than a couple hours to spend these days. My girlfriend is a full time law student and I am a full time accountant, going back to school (MBA/MSF) part time and studying for my CFA exam, I barely have time to sleep.

I've got nothing to hide on the truck other than the front rotors are warped and need replacing.. I was thinking about going to autozone and picking up a pair of real cheap rotors and throwing them on there but they will jsut warp on him in 3k miles.
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

If you put new rotors on it why would they warp in 3K miles? Do you have major problems with the brakes? If so there's a lot of states that won't let you sell a vehicle with major problems like that. You need to figure out what the real problem is and fix it. Brakes aren't rocket science, but can be tricky. If your rotars are warping it sounds like the brakes aren't releasing all the way. I would start out with new rotars, calipers, pads, and front brake hoses. It won't be that expensive, and should only take you a morning to do.