1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trying to spray, but leaves are falling early?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 21, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I realize leaves are a problem we all have to somehow work around, but I'd like to hear ideas, suggestions, experiences, feedback, etc on this.

It takes us seven weeks to apply our Early Fall "weed & feed" liquid application, so we cheat a little bit by starting at the tail end of August (like most lawn guys around here). We've been spraying 3 weeks now........some days are 25 mph winds, and some days hit upper 80's....not the best spraying conditions....then there are rain days. Now the maple trees are beginning to drop leaves. Very soon it will be ashes, then elms, then the rest.

Today I sprayed a lawn in Clive that had a good share of cottonwood leaves on the lawn....as I reeled in my hose, it gathered up a solid steam of leaves.

We had a cancellation today because a customer said we should have been out sooner cuz her red maples dropped many leaves. We told her that it is still summer and we were right on time as fall starts tomorrow. We offered to return after she mowed, but she refused (I think she wanted to save money, as she is retired & on a fixed income).:dizzy:

We don't start round five (winterizer) until late October......I can't wait for that:laugh:

rscvp Thanks!:waving:
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves are always a problem. Sometimes we skip and return. Sometimes we spray over the leaves and just schedule a free redo of certain areas in November, (when we are not busy). Difficult at best.
  3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I remember doing a fall clean-up at this one house. This was years back, before I offered chemical work. The customer had chemlawn. We were at one section in the property, and a chemlawn truck pulls up, and he starts spreading fert with a push spreader. The lawn was covered in leaves. let me say that again. COVERED. His spreader was pushing leaves into a pile in front of him. He would pick up the spreader to go over the little pile he made, and continue. The fert wasn't even hitting the ground. I stopped him, suggested for him to come back in about 2 hrs. He agreed. But for him to even attempt to work in that condition just reiterated the chemlawn sterotype.

That's my story.