1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trying to start 25 hp kawi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nor'easter1, Mar 14, 2004.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 LawnSite Member

I am an idiot when it comes to engines. Trying to start my 25 hp kawi engine after long winter. Battery cranks over but seems no fuel is getting in engine. Put new fuel in, checked fuel filter it is basically dry even when I crank it over. Seems to me that it is not pumping fuel from tank to carb. What advise can any one give to me I think my brain is frozen. Thanks as always.
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Fuel cut on? (j/k Im sure you checked that) I'm sure you drained the old fuel out before you stored it, so we don't have to worry about your primary & secondary jets. Electric fuel pump?
    Sure it's not your case, but i had a mower, that if it ever ran out of fuel, I would have to pull the line from the carb, to ever get fuel flowing. Like it had a vent stopped up, and the pressure wouldn't let it "prime naturally".
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

On some of the engines there is a magnetic switch that opens a fuel needle in the carb,There should be a wire that hooks to the bottom of the bowl on the carb, make sure it is hooked up When you turn the key on you should hear a click which is the solenoid opening the needle.If you dont here a click when turning the key on remove the wire and see if it has current on it with a test light when the switch is on. If you have current there i would next remove the bowl on the carb and see if the float is stuck or frooze in the closed position . sometimes after sitting all winter the float in mine will stick closed. hope this helps some
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking fuel pump.

Where have you kept in storage at over the winter? Did it run good before storage?
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

!st time mine done that i thought fuel pump also, but if it is stuck it doesnt allow any fuel in the carb, could be the fuel pump though, how old is the mower??
  6. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 LawnSite Member

What is the easiest way to access this bowl. It might be that. The machine is a dane chariot with only 6 hours on it I picked up at the end of the fall. I have kept it under tarp all winter and all connections seem to be good. I will check for that clicking noise when I turn the key over. Thanks
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

its the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb. Im not familar with that mower so i dont know where to tell you where to locate it, should be just 1 bolt that holds it on
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Then put your mouth on gas tank opening and blow. It should push fuel into the float bowl.

Close off bowl and crank. Off you go.