Trying to Start Fresh in '07

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SP Lawn Care, Aug 2, 2006.

1. SP Lawn Care

SP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hi guys, my name is Ryan, and im looking into starting a Lawn Care Business. On here you may know me as Lawnboy112, but I have changed my old ways and im trying to become legit. I am currently 16 years old, 17 in January. Im going to be starting next spring hopefully. I have become very educated in the lawn care field by browsing this site over the last 2 years. The time has come for me to be looking for a future job to help support me when im on my own. I have been through some rough times in the past, but have learned so much from my mistakes and that it is better to do what right rather than what’s not, like not getting a license. I am currently looking into this. My last question is the equipment. I have good knowledge of the type to get, but this is what I have to work with right now:

42" Dixon ZTR
    22" Craftsmen Push Mower – Going to buy a new one when I have the money.
    Troybuilt Weedwacker
    Homelite Backpack Blower
    Misc. Hand tools and what-not.

The ZTR I just inherited from my grandfather that just passed.
    Everything else I own souly. Im looking into the Wright Stander for my next mower. Looking for Echo as my next Weedwacker and Blower. Any other suggestions? Thanks a Bunch.

Ryan:usflag:

2. SP Lawn Care

Anyone going to try to help?

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

personally, i can't say enough about redmax trimmers and blowers. i have an echo stick edger and love it, but as far as trimmers and blowers, can't beat redmax. good luck, feel free to ask any questions as i'm sure people will be glad to help.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Redmax equipment is good, then again, so is echo! What do you have as far as a truck and trailer set-up?

5. SP Lawn Care

As of now nothing, I have a car that im going to sell. Redmax is looking good now, any other suggestions?

Ryan

6. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl Backpack Blower and a Stihl Stick Edger; absolutely LOVE them. BUT I've heard MANY times that the RedMax blowers are SOO much better...might be worth puttin in the extra money for a Redmax!

7. SP Lawn Care

As I can see by the feedback on the Redmax, its more than likely the best. Only problem with that is its a bit pricey. Stihl and Echo is looking best as of price wise and seems to be the next best. They both are nearly the same, im probably going to go with Echo, only because the Dealer is right down the street mabey a mile. As for the Wright Stander, any feedback on that, looking at the 36" for the obvious gate situation. Thanks for your help so far.

Ryan

8. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

My buddy loves his 36 Stander Just make sure you have good local dealer support get the biggest kaw or kohler engine and your good to go Shindaiwa is another brand that equals or exceeds Redmax but like Redmax its not cheap. Youll be using this stuff day in and day out. So make sure you get nice stuff a used stander with a couple hundred hours might be good as well Since I'm not exactly rich thats probably the way I'm going to be going

9. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Before you go spending 4k on a Stander, make sure you have the buisness to support such a big purchase.

But if you do purchase one, they are excellent machines. I am currently running an 06' Stander RH 36" and I have been very pleased with it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on the Stander.

10. Krehling's Prop. Maint.

Krehling's Prop. Maint. LawnSite Member

The standers are nice mowers, just looked at them tonight, if your going to invest in apeice of equippment do it right and go with the kawasaki motor, they are a much nicer running engine and i have had less problems withthem over the kohlers and i own both,i love my echo equipment but im not familiar with the redmax equipment so i cant compare it to the echo