Trying to start, looking at equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Steel, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Steel

Steel LawnSite Member

Ok, I'm pretty broke right now. I was at walmart and saw the Featherlite equipment which I could afford, is this stuff just junk though?

I'd only be using it temporarily until I could get some Echo equipment (I've only heard good about echo), but would it get the job done? I'm looking just at the gas trimmer, blower, and edgers. And together its probably the cost of a echo backpack blower. Anyway, would it work, and be atleast decent enough for a fallback if in the future one of my better things broke?
  2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hope nobody laughs at me but I have a Featherlite Weedeater also. I have had it for 4 years now with no problems, although only the last 2 years was used for my business. It will work to get you started but I would upgrade whenever you can.
  3. extremerc76

extremerc76 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

weedeater is homeowner stuff, but i have been using a weedeater handheld blower for four years commercial use just to get the grass trimmings away from the curb and in the middle of the road. as far as the edger goes i have been landscaping for four years without one. i use one of my trimmers held sideways and make the edge along the curb. practice a few times where no one will see before doing it on the front curb, because it is harder than it looks.:cool2: i own an echo backback, best blower i have ever bought, echo and stihl are both great products
  4. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to home cheapo and get homelite trimmer and blower. That's what i am using and the trimmers been great only problem was i (Key Word I) burnt the throtle cable. other than that its probably got 200 hours on it and still working good stuff.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree you can skip the edger for now and use the trimmer to get the edging right. It does take practice but I'll take a pic of myself someday and show you how, but anyway, I just bought an edger in my 4th year and not so much for edging per se, but to dig small trenches as I think of an edger as a handheld ditchwitch (laugh if YOU want).

Even today I only use the edger when I have to, which is to say most of the time, I just use the trimmer. This alone might enable you to get a better trimmer?

For the blower, I use a bg-55 stihl with the bg-65's nozzle. The bg-55 is top of the line homeowner's while the bg-65 is bottom line commercial, but the cc's are the same, the only difference is the nozzle tip (10 dollars for the right one), so I got my bg-55 for 155+10 = 165, and I use this handheld all the time anymore (thou I do have two backpacks), it is the greatest thing for light debris, it weighs less and uses a LOT less fuel.

So in that sense, homeowner's lines do hold up but it helps a lot if they're made by Echo / Stihl, etc...

Hope that helps.
  6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Save some money,get some experience in this industry. That kind of equipment is useless(imo). Experience is the key to success. Put your toe in the water see if you like don't jump right in and fall on your face.:hammerhead:
  7. K&A Lawncare

K&A Lawncare LawnSite Member

If you can i would look for a straight shaft trimmer. The difference is amazing as far as ease of use and for edging.
  8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just save up and get the Echo with the attachments. Edger, trimmer , brush cutter ect. Saves you alot of money in the long run.
  9. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Homelite is trash. Don't buy that crap.
    Echo is worth saving for.
  10. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

save up, or to keep the costs down look at the toro ones where you can buy the diffrent attachments, craftsman makes one too its a 4 cyle multi tatch, ive got about 150 hours on it still starts on the second pull (never started on the first cause there small engines), but for the time being to keep the costs down they would be fine.