Trying to start own business:)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zpv30458, Jul 20, 2005.

1. zpv30458

zpv30458 LawnSite Member

I am 14 years old and live in Statesboro, Ga. I am considering starting my own lawn service. I already mow 6 lawns and do the flower beds. I make about $200 a week. I am seeking advice from anyone on what equipment to buy. I have an echo weedeater, a 28 inch Snapper, Shindowa stick edger, and a WeedEater blower. I would like to increase my accounts to about 20 yards. The main problem is that after next summer i have to buy my own vehicle, so I can't blow all my money on equipment unless it is an excellent investment. I am VERY intrested in a zero turn mower, maybe a 42 or 48 inch cut. Thanks for any response.

2. FloridaMowMan

FloridaMowMan LawnSite Member

Do you pay taxes on that money? Do you have liabiltiy insurance? Do you have your own transportation? Do you have your business license from the city and county? Take care of these things and you will be on your way to starting a business.

3. zpv30458

zpv30458 LawnSite Member

I do not have to file taxes as long as I am 14-16 years old and am self employed. I am planning on getting an insurance policy, my dad said he would pay for that part. I am planning on buying an old truck as transportation to pull my 8x14 trailer(I know how to back a trailer and drive.) My dad is planning on getting the bussiness license for me. I appreciate your response but I was looking for something more along the lines of advice maybe(equipment?)Thanks

4. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

expect a lot of those responses. i dont know if people feel threatened by the many people entering the business but established business do not take kindly to anyone operating without insurance, business licenses, etc. That's understandable.

Oh, and you do have to pay taxes on that. I'm sure the IRS wont come knocking but technically, you do.

As far as getting started, six lawns a week would be kept fine with a 21" mower, decent trimmer, and a hand held blower. If you have that, focus on advertising.

5. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I say go for it and good luck. Dont let the crappy old guys get to you..
    those people are part of the reason why we dont have more young guys fixing these machines nowadays.

6. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Don't blow any money on new equipment. You will do fine with that Snapper and the other handheld equipment. I would say that buying your own truck would take a lot of cash, even if it's an old beater. And if you do get your own truck, don't get the oldest and cheapest thing you see, if it broke down or worse, you would have to pay for repairs. Totally forget about a zero turning radius mower, but if you do want a new lawn tractor, get a Craftsman LT1000, for $900 brand new. That would be something to consider rather than a $3500+ zero turn mower. Hope it works out for you though.

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Forget the ZTR at this stage. I would suggest banking a little for those unexpected breakdowns and replacement costs on the equipmnet you currently have. Nothing wrong with buying used stuff either. You found a good site. Ask as many questions as you like. You can also search old posts by typing in your topic under the search tab towards the upper right if you need faster responses.

8. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

also...about used equipment-

classifieds are gold mines. you can get used WB's relatively cheap. a 36 or 48 should be your first mower, though on six properties, you are only working 12 hours a week tops, i would imagine.

9. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt think about this earlier.. but i would check around on ebay for a used truck.. i got my 1979 F-250 supercab for 800 off ebay.. it is a beater, but it's easy to work on, parts are cheap enough as well.

10. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

How much do you currently charge for different jobs aka mowing, trimming, ect? Maybe we could also see if you have room to increase your rates and give some advice on prices.