trying to sub lawns for a friend..did i go wrong?? help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by me., Apr 25, 2008.

1. me.

me. LawnSite Member

soo i have this friend that is off at college, and im still around town. and he wanted me to sub his lawns while he was away (in the spring, and again in the fall)

i already did last fall for him, but he decided to give me a even 1000$ to do all his lawns for when he was away...soo i had to protect myself, and i did the lawns like 3 days later than they should of been done

this spring, he finally came around to doing a percentage of each lawn as i suggested last year, but he was to anal to do that....soo, i wanted ~70% of what he makes for each lawn, and his dad wanted to give me 60%, so he said that they would meet me in the middle at 65%...and some of his lawns were 40$
    -which is 26$ gross for me
    about 5$ for truck gas
    about 5$ for mower gas/long term maintanence
    and takes 50 min-60 min to mow

leaving me with 16$/hour...

i was enforcing 70% because i didnt think that was NEARLY enough, but still wanted the lawns i guess...and he calls me back and says "me and my dad decided to go with someone else for 65% due to your lack of experience and equipment.."

and im thinking..i have a 03' ford ranger, 06' cub cadet z force 50", 00' 33" walk behind, and have been mowing lawns for 5 years now

was he in this just to screw me over? did i do the right thing?
  2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are using your equipment, yes too low. If you are using his equipment, hes paying you too much.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

well if thinks you dont deserve 100% with you doing all the work and all the expenses he is nuts. now for him being a smart azz go and cut throat him
  4. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Who needs enemies when you have friends like that? You're better off not doing his work at rock bottom prices. I do not mean to offend you in any which way, shape or form by saying this, it is only meant to enlighten. The trash man probably makes more per hour then you did by doing your 'friends' work, and the trash man doesn't use any of his own equipment.

When my old boss told me this as I was chewing him out for the amount of responsibility I had and the little money I was making he said that exact thing to me. Only he meant it to hurt, which it did, but it affirmed why I did what I did. So please don't be angry that I said that, I was only hoping to give you a different perspective on the situation.

Do your own thing and let your friend do his. You'll see that the grass is much greener on the other side. Best of luck to you!
  5. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Forget that guy man, if he wants you to make him a bunch of money while he is gone, and wants you to do it with his equipment, you need to go right behind him and offer services on his account for 5 bucks less a month.
  6. me.

me. LawnSite Member

ya..i thought 75% is very reasonable, considering i use ALL my equipment, and he does NOTHING..just the financing (billing)..

now IF i was using his equipment for this (which im not), then i could see like 40%-50% or something, cause its his gas,mower,car..ect...BUT ITS ALL MINE IM USING!

ahah dont worry about it capnsac, all is well and good!

its just rediculous..this kid lives by what his dad tells him..he would of gladly done 75% if his dad wasnt behind im trying to screw him over....and ya, i have my side (dad owns a very succesful drywall company), and ya he gives me tips, advice, and sometimes lets me make a mistake here and there, but lets me conduct business..

so thanks for the reasurance that i did the right thing!
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it wasn't for you the guy would have lost all the accounts it happens in our area when college boys to back to school. If you didn't lose any accounts you should have got more inthe range of 92%. I'd like to be able to sub stuff out and make 35% that guys and his dad is a jerk....not much of a friend.
  8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here, franchises will give you work for %80.
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

wow at 65% he is making more then you are ! he makes $14 for doing absolutely nothing. You should of let him hang himself, his choice to go to school or stay and mow his accounts. Not your problem.
  10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

you shoulda just quit mowing them for a month, and then send them a card or something and picked them up yourself