1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trying to under bid but not go under

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Masters, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Green Masters

Green Masters LawnSite Member

I was offered the opportunity to bid on a church and a parsonage together. It is already being maintained by a company which the church is unsatisfied with. Is it wrong to ask what there price range or budget is? I need the job but there is a line where I have to draw the line in-able to make a profit and pay for equipment.
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If the company currently servicing the property is shoddy and the potential client wants better service, why does your price have to be lower than his? Perhaps his low price is teh reason he is doing poor work. Price accordingly, and let your quality speak to the price. Churches aren't poor, they can afford, and have budgeted, for maintenance.
  3. Green Masters

Green Masters LawnSite Member

I was told that he was priced a little high for the work that he was doing.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

OK. But if you were priced at the same level, or higer, and provided better service. You would not be considered too high.

Or is it that they don't value the work we do and believe that they are overpaying? Quality work costs money.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Is it wrong? No.

Do you really need to? No.
  6. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I might have this same problem later on in the year. This brings up a good piont. This church has few people goin there and they may have little money comin in. Its my old church and I see it as a way of helping them out.
  7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You say its a church , whats the difference if it were an office building or a house , you are cutting the grass and maintaining the grounds . Price it to make a profit. it doesnt matter what the other guy is charging, high or low , charge what you need to make money .
  8. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

Well you see a church gets their money from some of the tithes that people give. Their budget depends on how many people they have and how much people are giving.
  9. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

Just bid on what you need to have to do the job correctly. It may be higher than the other guy but if the quality is better they will pay. I bid on a cemetary where the church was complaining about the quality of some other company and asked me for a bid. I was higher by only about $20.00 and they still gave the job to the other guy. Sometimes the dollar is more important than the quality of work. They called me again this year for a bid and I gave them a copy of last years bid and I will see what happens.
  10. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

pita. write off. feel good about it. hurry up.