Trynex Snow EX Tailgate Spreader????

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Dockboy, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Has anyone used one of these spreaders?

I saw one on a truck like mine today. I liked the way it looked and the fact that the top was below the tailgate. Also liked the hitch receiver mount.

Picture of one here http://www.langsautoaccessories.com/products/snowplow/trynex.htm

Let me know what you guys think.

Oh, by the way, got to plow some yesterday :D Finally!!!

Was dying to try my new V. Pretty awsome:)

Greg

2. Alan

Alan Member

Got one, but unless you get the small version it still sticks up above the tailgate. And they work better if you get the vibrator to keep material flowing.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I see a few snow X spreaders down here and almost got one,but went with the western.Keep in mind these speaders are better when using dry, free flowing products.

4. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,

Alan, do you know about how much the vibrator option is?

Greg

5. Alan

Alan Member

Just from memory I'm thinking the vibe kit was very close to $300. Made all the difference in the world though. Material bridged all the time before I put it on, now I can even run sand, as long as there are no pebbles big enough to jam the feed throat.

6. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Thanks Alan

Greg

7. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have one and it's a piece of crap. The company produced a defective baffle that didn't keep the material in the spreader. After finally getting a correct baffle, you can't put too much material into it or it'll overload. I'm trading it in for another slider hopper unit. Save your money and don't buy it.

8. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've got one. IT is a good spreader, but it does have a few quirks.

The one that mounts to the trailer hitch is the smaller version of the one that I have. I like the larger one, but it does stick up a little past the tailgate.

I have the swing away mount on mine. It is invaluable. You can open the tailgate, and load material.

Now, for the quirks.

1. The vibrator kit($400.00) is almost manditory. There are only a few products that will flow freely from this unit without the aid of the vibrator. After adding the vibrator, the spreading waws improved 100%. If you are going to use a bagged product like Calcium, or Lesco Melt, or something of a consistent size and texture, the vobrator could be optional. I have seen too many varibles in salt to do without the vibrator.

2. At times, most notablely when the hopper is full, if you drive the truck around not spreading material, (when plowing, or a fair distance between jobs), the material will pack around the auger, and the motor does not have enough torque to start. You have got to hop out of the truck, and give the spinner plate a half turn or so. This only happens if you leave the salt in the hopper for a while, and there is sufficent agitation to let it settle.

3. I would like to see the wiring harness long enough to allow the speader to be swung open while still plugged in. Unplugging the thing to open it is a minor inconvience, but I am concerned about water entering the plugs, and causing problems. I have not had any problems, but would rather see them sealed for the season.

4. The wiring harness for the vibrator is WAYYY TOO short. IT barely reaches the truck bumper.

5. The control box in the cab is varible speed. The problem is that after you shut it off, it automatically resets to the middle position the next time you start it. This is inconvienent to say the least. Also, the spread settings are controlled by up and down arrows, and it takes too long to get it set, especially since you will have to set it each time you shut the spreader off. I think that they have updated the controller box to adress these issues.

All in all, it is a deacent spreader. I really like the nounting system, the bulk of the load is carried by the trucks bumper, and not the tailgate or bed. It also does not require many modifications to the truck, other than a few holed drilled in the top of the bumper.

9. Alan

Alan Member

We absolutely hated the control box that came with ours. It was that touch pad thing that you have and if yours hasn't failed yet you've been lucky. We went through four of them before the warranty was up. They would turn themselves on while you were driving. Real nice, if you didn't notice the thing light up you would spread out a whole load of material by accident.

I found out that they abandoned that design and went to one with real switches and a dial control for speed. The newer version stays at the speed you set it at and speed changes are as fast as you can turn the dial. I had to rag long and hard, but I got mine replaced with the new design under warranty. Depending on how old yours is you might be able to do the same. All connections are the same so it just plugs in and mounts to your existing bracket.

As for the hard starting, there was a service bulletin and repair kit out for that. I did the upgrade there as well and got rid of almost all of the instances of the feed auger binding with a load on.

I did some modifications to mine, which is also the swing mount, to allow me to remove the hopper and leave the brackets in place. We didn't want to be married to it all winter and it was way too much hassle to remove the brakets every time we took it off.

10. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Alan- Mine is 3 or 4 years old, and the control pad is still working as intended. Never had the automatic turn on feature happen though. I must be lucky.

What is the service bulletin for the hard starting situation? What did the repair kit consist of?

I made a "rack" on a retaining wall at the shop that aloows me to remove the unit by myself. If I have a helper around, it is easy enough to un-do the one bolt, and lift it off.