1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TSC shopping

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Mar 20, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I was shopping at Tractor Supply Company agricultural store. I bought an agitation nozzle and some parts for the internal agitation system I am putting together for my Permagreen.

The 2 gal per minute Flo Jet pump was about $88.00, supposedly capable of 60 pounds pressure, (but pumps always exaggerate--I suspect that means 2 gal per min at 5 pounds pressure OR...a tenth gal per minute at 60 pounds pressure). According to label the pump draws 10 amps. That is a lot of current, I think. You need a good battery. The 3.5 gal per minute pump cost more and drew 11 amps.

Plain 2,4-D amine was about $14.95, and Trimec was $21.25.

They had lots of seed in 50 pound bags, but I thought the quality was low. The annual rye, per rye, KBG blend was cheapest at about 50 dollars.
  2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Are those prices per gallon on the Trimec and 2,4-D?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Above are per gallon prices--but---I did not check the percent active ingredient--so possibly they could be lower.
  4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not bad. If they are selling trimec then the active ingredients will be on the Gordons web site. Also when you have this agitation thing finalized .Please post pics. I think you are on to something there.
  5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the use rates on those herbicides.
  6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Riggle: I'd bet that the GPM on the little Shu-flo is what the pump will put out with ANY Pressure on the discharge. These pumps were originally built for circulation on boats for refridgeration and heat pumps. I know I had one for a long time. They were good pumps until something broke and then usually the whole pump had to be replaced. They came out with a ceremic pumphead which took care of most of the problems. There's another one that has a automatic cut-off at about 30Psig. I was thinking of getting one of my old pumps out and trying to make a circulation pump for the tanks.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I use those 12V pumps on a 25 gallon tanks. They hold up fairly well and I replace them instead of change the diaphragms because of the cost. In both cases I pump herbicides to a 300 ft hose real and get good pressure to spray with. One tank is used for select herbicides and the other stays tanked with Aquatic herbicide. The key to those pumps is to NOT spray heavy material. I find no difference in the quality of the Flow Jet, Shur Flow or the Hypro models.

BTW. The Aqua Master is 53% AI and requires a Aquatic Surfactant to legal to spray ponds, ditches Etc. However I find it does a better and Faster job Killing out Lawns or heavy brush. There is a Market for Roundup type service on large areas. By staying Aquatic safe you don't have to worry about drainage ditches or lake fronts etc. The cost difference is minimal.