TT and 2x Velke blues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 12, 2008.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Just bought a 48TTHP and 2X Velke. My first time with a sulky and I must say Im dissapointed. The ride on a rough lawn stinks. Seems easier on me to walk. I still havent got the hang of good 180 turns. Any advice? Will this get easier?
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes it is rough but, try walking all day in the heat and your junk starts rubbing. You'll prefer the ride, trust me. Tony
  3. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Return the x2 and buy a proslide
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the rough terrain being difficult. I have a BullRider and a one-wheeled Velke, to use behind a 36" Exmark Viking. I used to use the BR often for large jobs, but got a ZTR about two years ago. However, I still use the w/b about 60% of the time. Now, the jobs are limited to smaller jobs, 1/2 or 3/4 acres. Since most of my residential properties have 100 foot frontage on the street, the backyards (where I use the w/b the most) have about 100 foot runs cutting across the property. Also, most of my properties are sloping, and generally the slopes are up or down relative to the house. The backyards are usually only 10K, 12K, or 16K sq ft -- pretty small.

With the runs across the property only being 100 foot, using a sulky is not of much use. The extra time in turns, the time required to handle over steep places, just does not make up the time of faster speeds on the short 100 foot runs. This season, I've tried all combinations, walking, BR sulky, and single-wheel Velke (limited use because I don't like the wheel mark). My timings are often quicker when walking, sometimes not.

Also, the extra work to control the mower while I'm riding the sulky tends to minimize the effectiveness of the sulky. This stems from the rough terrain -- I often need to exert real arm strength to keep the machine on the intended path. This problem probably is less for a 48" (or larger) w/b, but for the 36", a machine that is only about 550#, working the handle can be quite a task. Walking takes less energy than the body to work the handles. My machine has pistol grips -- I can't imagine being able to handle such a machine with the ECS design.

As the years pass, and I get older, the interest in putting the sulky on the trailer is getting less and less. Don't get me wrong. When I was mowing properties 1.5 to 3.0 acres, the sulky was the best choice. But, for now, mowing the smaller properties with the w/b, I would rather walk all day. I just have so much better control of my machine. I keep thinking that "you have to ride to save yourself," but I usually get frustrated after awhile, and drop off the sulky.

A couple of more comments, ... I tried a ProSlide on my machine. I found the mower to be too small, too light, to use a ProSlide. Also, I my BullRider is convertible, caster or trailer mode. I cannot make it work in caster mode (for the same reason the ProSlide didn't work), so use it in trailer mode.