1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

TTHP 36 or Metro HP 36 WB

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by weaver_b, Dec 22, 2002.

1. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a TT 52 23hp Kohler as my primary mower
    and maybe a 36" WB to get thru gates and other areas I can't
    do with the TT 52. For the 36" WB, I'm considering the TT HP 36"
    hydro or the Metro HP 36" belt drive. Both have the 15hp Kawi.
    There is about a $1200-$1500 price difference. I'm trying to decide if the hydro is worth the price difference.

Any thoughts or advice between the two?

I've also thought about just getting a Lazer HP 44" instead of
    52 and 36 WB. Any advice?
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I paid the difference and got the TTHP 36" Hydro. A wonderful machine and I am so happy I went that direction. In and out of ditches, without the old knee knocker for reverse. Just squeeze the handles and back you go. I also got the ECS controls and they are awesome. I am tall (6' 3") and this makes it very comfortable for me. No leaning over all day just to reach the controls.

Also I have had problems with my Z (a Dixie) and so I had to use the walk behind a whole lot more than I had intended when I first bought it. Again I am so happy I got the Hydro machine. Just with this problem alone it paid for itself several times over this year.

If I were starting another crew and had a Z or 52" - 60" walk behind as a main mower then I would only get the belt drive machine. Just to cover gated yards and smaller area's, but knowing it would not be mowing as much as the larger one.

If I were looking for the smaller yard, gated lawn niche then I would get the Hydro. Although you could get by with the belt drive with no problem. It might just be up to your budget and what you like or want.
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi, guy, this is not advice but just a little thought from a Wb guy for you to ponder...

TT 52"/23 (720 lbs, 83.4" length) as primary mower? doing over 100 accounts with that massive Wb? under 80* heat and rain? how fit are you? Can you ride, sit, stand that "sulky" 6-8 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week? Is fatigue/soreness meant anything to you? Can you do year in year out with TT 52"? I think you should think seriously about these unless you have super "reliable" crew to do all for you. For me? the Z is answer.

Wb should be just 36" and that is it, anything bigger must be a rider, this is what I discover from personal sweat. Go Hydro Wb if your budget is fine but don't forget that belt Wb is always there for you cause it won't break down and it is real basic to take care!

later friend,
  4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Have you demoed both the hydro and the belt drive? I did before I bought my 48" TTHP hydro and they each have their place. If you were going to use the WB as your primary mower then I would say to get the hydro. If you are just using it for gated yards an possibly as a back up when the rider is down then I would recommend the belt drive. Have you thought about the 52" HP?
  5. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

Thanks for your responses. I'm now looking at the 52" Lazer Z
    and 52" Lazer HP. Any opinions from anyone between the Lazer Z and Lazer Z HP?
  6. MTR

from Florida

LZHP 5223 KA is king. Love that KA engine, the sound... and power..., the Lazer Z series does not carry KAW engine in the 52" deck, which I don't know why? Don't like Koh engine, never will.
    seen the power of little 12.5 Kaw, have great respect for it. lol...
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't Exmark also make a fixed deck hydro 36"?
    I think it's called the viking?

With a 36" you might not need the floating deck. the wheels are close enough to the edge on a 36 to prvent most scalping so you can get by with a fixed deck, unless you change cutting height alot or have realy rough terrain.

As far as belt or hydro I say If you can afford the hydro get it. Demo both and you will be able to tell the difference, especialy in smaller spaces. I run a 36" gear drive fixed deck as my primary mower and find myself dreaming about a hydro every day.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately the HYDRO I have tried both hydro and gear hydo wins hands down I couldn't find an easier way. Good Luck
  9. weaver_b

weaver_b LawnSite Member

Why do you you like the Kawi over the Kohler?
  10. MTR

from Florida

It's more like personal preference when you choose Ford over Chevy or Toyota over Honda, BMW over Mercedes, etc which I will not get into technicality like wannabe thing. It is endless.

But I like KAW engine cause I have "good" and "profitable" experience with them and found that it is the best engine to go with, let alone their trimmer/blower products. KAW engine seems to be more reliable than others in my feelings. I don't want to say the Koh engine has more likelyhood of giving you problems, I am sure Koh engine is very very comparable to Kaw in many aspects but take a look around and you will see most of lanscapers prefer KAW engine over Koh's, besides mowers with KAW have prices somewhat higher than its Koh counterparts which should give you some ideas why? Let's put it this way, I have nover heard a single one said I have had it with KAWI :blob3: :blob3: :blob3: