tthp blade bolts

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by scottishmaximus, Aug 4, 2003.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hi, I have a 48" tthp that i bought almost a year ago. I cannot seem to be able to get one of the blades off. I have tried a high torque impact and a 5' persuader bar but just can't break it loose. I did break two craftsman sockets though. I am not sure why it is this tight because i don't put them on that hard and I can't remember hitting anything. Do you have any suggestions. I was wondering if this is something that my dealer should cover or something. Thanks for any help.

Scott

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Scott,

Thanks for the post. This is one that we used to get a lot of comments on but fewer and fewer these days.

The problem is most likely that the bolt was not tightened properly the last time the blades were installed or the spring disc washer needs to be replaced. If the bolt is not tight or if the washer is worn, weak or in need of replacement the bolt can self tighten. If any of these situations are present it may not take much of an impact to cause the blade to spin and self tighten. Even thick, wet, lush lawns can cause the blade bolt to self tighten if not installed properly.

If everything is working properly and you hit something the blade bolt may tighten some but not nearly as much as if the bolt was loose. A tight bolt clamps the metal components together and locks them before the weight of the blade can gain enough momentum to really tighten the bolt.

Since you've already broken a couple of sockets I would recommend taking the mower into a shop with a larger impact or getting out your hand held grinder and grinding off the head of the bolt. With the head removed the threaded section can often be removed with your fingers. I would also recommend replacing that bolt and the spring disc washers on each blade. This will help ensure that you don't have a repeat of the same situation.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the reply terry. I will try your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

Scott

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the exact same problem with my TTHP 48". I was told to heat the bolt with a propane torch and then remove it. It worked, but now I pay much more attention to how tight I put the bolts on. Knock on wood, I have not had a problem since. I don't know if the heat was the best thing to do but that's what my dealer said they would do if I brought it to them. Good luck.

5. eXmark

TJLC,

Heat should be your last resort in most cases.

When you apply heat generally you want to apply the heat to the female end or in this case the spindle. The heat causes the threaded hole to expand thus loosening its grip on the bolt.

The problem is the heat in either case spreads from the bolt to the spindle to the bearing to the grease etc. If enough heat is applied to the spindle it is possible to damage the grease and the seals in the cutting housing. The grinder can take a little more time but it may be worth it in the long run.

Thanks

Terry

6. TJLC

7. eXmark

TJLC,

It shouldn't effect your warranty. If you put enough heat into the spindle to cause a seal failure or cook the grease you'd know it in about 150 hours. At the speeds we're turning these components it doesn't take long for a weak link to show up.

Besides with the 3 year warranty it will show up in the warranty period.

You should be in good shape. Just remember the heat thing for future reference.

Thanks

Terry

8. TJLC

Thanks, Terry. I will remember that.