TTHP Conversion

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ohanyan1, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ohanyan1

ohanyan1 LawnSite Member

I have a 2006 Exmark TTHP with 48" deck and 17 hp Kaw. My understanding is that the only difference betwee the 17hp motors and the 19hp motors that are used on these units is the carb. So, my question is, can I replace my current carb with the carb used on the 19hp Kaw and essentially turn it into a 19hp motor? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Proline52

Proline52 LawnSite Member

I researched this particular issue as well prior to purchasing my 2007 48" 17hp TTHP. According to Kawasaki's product/parts manuals the 17hp and 19hp KAI engines have the same carb (exact same part number) the only difference was that the 19hp had a electronically controlled solenoid (separate part from the carb itself) whereas the 17hp (non-electric start) had an adjustable 'bolt' in place of the solenoid. So my (un)educated guess is that a majority (*not all) of the hp gain is from a slightly tweaked intake and exhaust system. As anyone who has ever modified a street rod will tell you, a less restricted system will add hp.

On another note, I did order the optional heavy duty air canister which many (Kohler) claim adds about 1/2hp due to a better breathing system (not to mention the all the other benefits: less cleaning of the air filter, longer engine life etc.) The kit is not cheap, but I figured if it was something that I would want to install in a year or so after getting frustrated with the current filter, why not do it right from the start. Simple to install and should prolong the life of the unit, any increase in hp is just an added benefit.

3. ohanyan1

ohanyan1 LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for the info. By the way, do you know the brand and part number of that air filter? Also, what was the approxamate price? Thanks.

4. Proline52

Proline52 LawnSite Member

The heavy duty air cleaner (canister) kit is a Kawasaki product, part number 99999-7040. You should be able to order it through any authorized Kawasaki dealer. I believe it retails for $273.48 and the cheapest I could find it for was $224.99.