TTHP Hydro Power Gone!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Hawkeye5, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

'03 TTHP with only 43 hours. Hydros quit yesterday in the middle of a turn. Flat lawn, no prior warning, no noise, just stopped. Neither side will rotate when I put her up on jack stands and engage the drive. Fluid level is fine, no discoloration. I've looked in the manual and tried to figure this out to no result. As both wheels are dead there must be an electrical connection or belt involved, but I see no fuse in the wiring diagram and there is no broken belt. Any ideas??

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the pump drive belt.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the hydro belt!

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hawkeye5,

There are only a couple of things I can think of that could cause you to loose drive to both sides.

There is a slight possibility that the hydro filter is plugged and stopping hydraulic flow. This is unlikely but possible. Generally if a filter were to become plugged it would gradually starve the pumps of fluid and they would begin to slow down, becoming slower and slower until they stopped all together. You said the quick and from the sound of it rather abruptly. I would suspect the hydro pump drive belt.

There are 3 belts on the Turf Tracer HP. There is a long deck belt, short PTO (very wide belt) and a hydro pump drive belt. I would suspect that the hydro pump drive belt is not turning the pump drive pulleys.

The pulley on the engine crankshaft mount closest to the engine is the pump drive pulley. Make sure the belt is on this pulley. Also check the pump drive idler to make sure it is properly tensioning the belt. If you pull on the pump drive belt you should feel about 10 lbs of belt tension. If the idler is not pivoting freely this could be your problem. I would be surprised however if this would "lock up" with out any prior notice but it is possible. The Turf Tracer HP is equipped with a cold start kit. This kit consists of a ring and change on the RH side of the engine deck. In cold weather you can pull the ring and slip it over the bolt mounted on the side plate. This releases the hydro belt tension. A quick check is to simply grab this ring and pull it in and out a couple of times. If it feels rough or does not return without hesitation this is a good indication there is a problem with the idler pivot.

All this sounds more complicated than it is. Give me a call at 800-667-5296 and I'll walk you through it. It may be a good idea to take the unit into the dealer as well. Often a second set of eyes can spot a problem right away.

Thanks,

Terry

5. Hawkeye5

I will check the belt tonight after I finish mowing. Thanks

6. Hawkeye5

Terry: The idler tension spring broke. There was about an inch of it left hanging on the idler arm weldment, which is why I didn't see it in the first inspection. I note two flat spots from wear on the coils, one of which is right at the break. With the hours on the machine I suspect perhaps the spring was not installed properly. To which bolt at the rear of the deck is the spring attached? There are two, one longer and maybe 1.5 " further back than the other that would appear to me to be to close to a pully and belt, so I assume the bolt that is second working from the back of the mower forward. I just don't want to install the spring incorrectly and have to do this every 40 hours.

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hawkeye5,

It is possible that the spring was not installed properly but I would inspect a few other items as well. With the wear pattern you've described I might suspect some excessive cycling of the belt.

I would inspect the pulleys for any debris, damage etc. Anything that might make them run slightly untrue. Any unevenness in a pulley will cause a shock wave to go through belt which then causes the spring and idler pivot to work back and forth excessively. This can then cause the wear pattern you described. I would also inspect the belt and look for any high or low spots or any sections that are narrower or wider than others. This to can cause the same shock wave or cycling of the belt, idler and spring.

While your looking at thing go ahead and make sure the idler pivot is loose and pivoting feely.

Thanks,

Terry