TTHP leaving stragglers

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ple_1969, May 24, 2004.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Terry,

I'm a homeowner and have a '04 TTHP with the 48" deck and 17 Kawasaki. After I'm finished with my lawn I've noticed that I have some stray pieces of grass that are uncut all over the lawn. What would be the reason for this? I tried doubles but with little success.
    My '02 Lazer never left these stragglers and cut beautifully.

I'm cutting with the stock blades (notched high lift). Would switching to the solid foil help? In reading some posts some folks had better results with the solid high lift.

For the lawn, I live in NJ and I'm cutting at 3". I am mowing every 3 days due to the growth, so I'm not cutting too much off at once. I also alternate my mowing paten every time I mow.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
    Pete

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Pete,

If I had to guess I'd say PTO belt adjustment or possibly engine rpm. I find that the 48" deck really likes 1/8" of rake or less and blade tip speed is pretty important in the spring.

If the PTO belt is slipping or if the enigne is not turning fast enough you will loose blade tip speed and some strange things can start happening.

I would stick with the nothed airfoil blades until we get closer to summer.

Thanks,

Terry

Thanks,

Terry

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have a lawn [stolon type growth] that I get the same thing with the notched blade. The solid foil hight lift blade improves greatly on this problem on this lawn and it is my worst example. In general if I am following the 1/3 cutting rule up to 1/2 of length I get much better results with the silid foil blade as far as stragglers go.

4. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Dishboy,

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try.

Pete

5. eXmark

Dishboy,

You are correct the solid airfoil blades will make a bid difference eliminating stragglers. My only concern is that they can also fill the deck rather rapidly in wet conditions. From the weather reports I've seen I believe it's still pretty wet up Pete's way.

Thanks by the way, that was a good call. I'll be anxious to see if it works for Pete in his current cutting conditions.

Thanks,

Terry

6. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Terry,

Yup it's pretty moist in Jersey. However I'm only mowing when the grass is dry. However with the cool nights and all the moisture, the grass is growing out of control. I'm mowing every 3 days.

I'm going to try the solid lifts and let you know the results. Thanks for your help!!!

Pete

7. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

Terry,

I thought about this yesterday and have a question. What has more lift the notched high lifts or the solid high lifts?

Why would the solid have a better cut then the notched?

Pete

8. eXmark

Pete,

These are both "high" lift blades and the amount of lift is fairly equal. The real difference is how they flow air through the deck.

I explain it like this. One kinda pushes the air throug the deck while the other pulls it through. This is why the notched will tend to exhibit more blow out than the solid airfoil.

Terry