TTHP Lower Than 1 1/2"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GeorgiaGrassMan, Oct 7, 2003.

1. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I probably already know the answer to this question, but I thought I would ask just in case. Is there any way that a TTHP can be modified to cut at 1"? I need to be able to cut this low to scalp Bermuda next Spring.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

GeorgiaGrassman,

There really isn't anything we'd recommend. The front spacer is a little less than 1/2" thick but I wouldn't recommend removing it. I also wouldn't recommend dropping the front tire pressure if you have pneumatic tires.

When you drop a deck 36" or wider down to 1" chances are the blades will make contact with more than just grass sooner or later. This can create thrown objects and can damage the mower.

I wish I could be more help.

Thanks

Terry

3. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

So 1" would be bad? I thought all models of the Metro and the Viking would go down to 1".

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Georgia Grassman,

You are correct. You can cut at 1" with the fixed deck models. The fixed deck model also has a bit more rake in the deck at 1" that what you'll normally have with the floating deck unit. This places the farthest point forward on the deck slightly lower than what you'll find on the floating deck model. This helps to let the front of the deck protect the blades from making contact with the ground. The operator can then "float" the deck up a little bit when he feels it make contact with the ground. It simply gives the fixed deck operator a little more reaction time than the floating deck might.

Please also understand that most of the operators cutting at 1" are going to be in extremely flat areas with few hills and undulations. I suspect much flatter than GA.

Like I said we wouldn't recommend cutting at 1" on the TTHP.

Thanks

Terry