Tube mounted throttle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting a new blower (Echo 650 or 750) and was wondering which you guys prefer. Do you like the throttle on the left side or on the tube?

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I prefer on the tube. It frees up your left habd to move branches and stuff out of the way. I have the Echo 650 and it works great, but bigger is better. I believe the 750 has the option of having a tube throttle or left handed throttle.

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I like the left hand control. I just set the rpm's and my hand is free, plus I don't have the weight of the cable and control unit on the tube.

4. I can NOT think of a single reason to have the throttle on a blower anywhere else but on the tube-handle. If there is a reason, someone please elaborate.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My helper prefers the blower with left hand control, I prefer the throttle on the tube.

6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Redmax, and also have the throttle on the tube...lets my other hand pick things up, etc. just like previously mentioned.
    Gary

7. I’ve used both kinds and there’s just no reason for a separate control to occupy your left hand. You can lock a tube-mounted throttle to any position just like a separate left-handed throttle. But if your left hand is free 100% of the time, locking the throttle is rare used anyway.

When you get around obstacles with a left-handed throttle, its much slower to throttle down with your left hand, move the obstacle, throttle up, blow, throttle down, replace the obstacle, then throttle back up. If there's more than one obstacle (and there usually is), a left-handed throttle is just plain agravating. With a tube-mounted throttle, the above scenario is fluid motion.

A separate control is just one more thing to get knocked around and hung up on something. If you're pushing daylight, you can carry a flashlight with you as you blow if your throttle is on the tube. As far as weight goes, it’s all freaking plastic!

Human nature plays a large role here. I venture to guess that left-hand throttle guys started that way, and are just reluctant to change. Comfortable ignorance.