Tube, Tubeless, or Run-Flat???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by battags, May 29, 2005.

What type of tires do you prefer?

1. Tubes

2. Tubless

3. Run-Flat

1. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

The front caster on my 'Z' went flat again with some type of puncture. I'm thinking of putting tubes in but am considering 'run flat' tires instead. What do you all use and why?

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had spell checked the poll before I posted it. TUBLESS = one without a tub???? :blush:
  3. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

fill with tire seal.
  4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

If anyone in your area sells Multi-Seal you should try it. During the past 20 years I have tried and sold several sealants and Multi-Seal is my favorite.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

usually I plug a tire and then when the plug dries out and starts to leak(usually the next year) I stick a tube in them. I want to switch to the run flats but I havent had a chance to see how hard or soft they are. If they are like a solid rubber tire and hard I dont think I would want them
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Currently we have all tubeless tires.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You will NOT like the ride you get with a "run-flat" tire, believe me.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I dont know why you would put tubes in tires. The tubes will go flat just like the tires. And sealers like green slime dont work well with tubes or at all
  9. Oldtimer

The only suspension a mower has is the tires ( one exception ) and when you give up the cushion the tires provide funny things start to happen to the chassis. It is soon welder time.

A couple of years ago a customer brought a Lazer HP in with hydro problems. The unit was not as responsive as it should be and when the motion control levers were moved quickly the mower would hardly respond and the hydro belt tensioner and belt made a strange noise. I drove the mower against a wall and the drive wheels would spin on concrete so we knew the system was putting out full power. We found that the unit really didn't like to go from forward to reverse quickly, rather it seemed to be struggling and again the hydro belt and tensioner made noise. This was the first and only eXmark we have ever seen with the drive tires filled with water. It really drove strange and it took us several minutes of head shaking to figure out the problem.

Is the world really held together with Duct Tape?
  10. Oldtimer

Get the sealant made for tubes. We used to stock wheel barrow tubes prefilled with Slime.