TUBULAR STEEL vs ANGLE IRON

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SUGAR_CUT_MARK, Jul 21, 2003.

1. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

i'm looking to purchase a 12ftx6ft open utility/landscape trailer. i have heard that the tubular steel is not good because moisture gets trapped inside the tubes and causes it to rust quicker. but on the upside i hear the tubular steel is stronger.
    i hear the angle iron is not as strong and also is less expensive.

can i get some feed back from u guys that have owned either/or both? Pros/Cons?? and also do any of u know of any good open trailer brands? (i live in michigan) i found one on ebay by taylor trailers that looks pretty good and the price is pretty good, but the only drawback is they're in missouri.

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer tubular steel. As far as rust goes I don't care. I can buy a 6.5 x 16' trailer for 1200.00 and get five years out of it. That come to six and a half cents a day. At that cost I can and do throw them away.

3. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my 6.6x10 about 5 weeks ago, and it has the welded tubular steel frame. It was made by a local trailer manufacturer. The trailer seemed better built than all the others I had looked at in the same price class and size. It cost me $750. Before I bought this one, I used a borrowed trailer that belongs to a friend of mine. Its frame was the traditional angle-iron type, and it really flexed a lot. My new trailer has very little flex to it and seems much more stable going down the road. I can see how water can get trapped inside the tube frames, but it really doesn't worry me. The trailer builder sprayed lots of paint up in there, so I really can't see any bare metal. I plan on keeping a good watch on it being as it sits outside. Good luck to you.

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

There's nothing wrong with an angle iron trailer IF it's supported right AND it has a channel tongue. 5" channel frame and tongue, angle iron supports. Go to www.teshandsons.com for some examples. They do make tube trailers also, but their use of 5" channel makes for a very stable platform.