Tuff Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthSide Cutter, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Got some new Gator blades today for my 48" and 61". Was suppose to be like the ones I bought last fall. But the outside edge was flatter than the gator part. So I thought I would just put them in the vise and wack them with a sledge and put some pitch on them. Cant do it wont bend, so I put some heat to them. Man are they tough. Look the same know. Oregon Gator made in the good ol USA.

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

you are messing with the balance bigtime, i think that was a mistake. sorry

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

yeah you dont wanna be screwing around with the ballancing of the blades. they were built like that for a reason

4. SouthSide Cutter

How do you know they are out of balance. You think I just jack with stuff not thinking. Watched a guy years ago work a prop over on a ball hitch of a pickup at a large bass tourney. He was putting some more pitch to it. Probably the best prop man in the country. Iam not 20yrs old guys been around the block a few times.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't ever put heat to your blades. Those blades are heat treated to spec, if you hit something it is possible that the blade will shatter. Don't do it. :dizzy:

6. SouthSide Cutter

How do you know this, ever been around a blacksmith? My local dealer used to hard surface your blades years ago never had any trouble. You think I turned the whole blade cherry red.

7. jmf1969

jmf1969 LawnSite Member

when you heat blades you take the temper out of them(make the metal softer). they shouldnt break but will probably bend easy

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to be one.:)

9. SouthSide Cutter

Then you should know this is not correct, if you know what your doing and anything about metalurgy.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i would NEVER mess with the blades other than sharpening them. they are made the way they are for a reason. if you don't like a certain set just buy a new set.

i would tell you all the reasons not to but most of them have already been mentioned.

big mistake i think.......